Need Help hard drive not showing up win 10

Hello,

One of my hard drives which is about 5 yrs old is not showing up under devices and drives. went to disk management and it’s asking me to initialize disk but whatever i select gives me an error message

I have a ton of data which I would love to save if possible. Just ordered a new hard drive

Edit

here’s what i found under the events tab in drive properties

1:07:34 Device not migrated:

Device SCSI\Disk&Ven_&Prod_\4&35c8d0cb&0&020000 was not migrated due to partial or ambiguous match.

Last Device Instance Id: USBSTOR\Disk&Ven_Kingston&Prod_DataTraveler_2.0&Rev_1.00\6&12d3d185&0
Class Guid: {4d36e967-e325-11ce-bfc1-08002be10318}
Location Path:
Migration Rank: 0xF000FC00FFFFF120
Present: false

1:07:34 Device configured (disk.inf):

Device SCSI\Disk&Ven_&Prod_\4&35c8d0cb&0&020000 was configured.

Driver Name: disk.inf
Driver Date: 06/21/2006
Driver Version: 10.0.18362.1
Driver Provider: Microsoft
Driver Section: disk_install.NT
Driver Rank: 0xFF0005
Matching Device Id: GenDisk
Outranked Drivers:
Device Updated: false
Parent Device: PCI\VEN_8086&DEV_8C82&SUBSYS_85341043&REV_00\3&11583659&1&FA

1:07:36 PM Device started (disk):

Device SCSI\Disk&Ven_&Prod_\4&35c8d0cb&0&020000 was started.

Driver Name: disk.inf
Service: disk
Lower Filters:
Upper Filters:

Yep it’s likely a dead drive, or has had a catastrophic memory error. The disk may come back with a utility or using a recovery tool.

Couple of options, depending on how important the data is. Doesn’t sound like you have a backup.

Safest option - send to a professional. If the data is very valuable don’t risk damaging it by trying yourself

Second safest option, ddrescue or testdisk. Google for them. Download and follow instructions. You will need a new drive to copy the data to.

Third safest option, try booting a Linux live CD and opening the disk there. It is usually more informative than windows. Run gparted and if it says the boot table is corrupt follow the repair instructions to repair it. Usually doesn’t work but it’s free to try.

Failing that I’m sorry but I wouldn’t want to recommend anything else. The disk is possibly dead.

It is events like this that made me a staunch advocate of zfs and a tiered backup strategy. Sorry you are going through this.

If I try the 2nd safest option is there a way I can screw it up to the point where I will not be able to recover the data?

Both packages have automated fix modes that try to fix the drive without crippling it. If it is just the partition table these work. If however it detects the drive is failing they won’t recover everything but will try to get some data.

Read the man pages and guides carefully first. Or use professionals.

Got that error so I think I’m shit out of luck. Thankfully it’s nothing critical, just my whole music library :frowning:

1 Like

My dau’s intel 535 SSD died, I’ll double check it on mine but the WD spinning rust still lives

I’d try it on another computer first.

Last week, plugged in my external drive and Windows 10 just wouldn’t see it. It still doesn’t, it’s like it hates this particular drive.

Works fine on a other computers.

With this and updates installing during active hours AND resetting my network settings, fingerprint login needing a PIN (security first right?), and lots of other bs, I hope Windows crashes and burns like the POS it is.

This topic was automatically closed 273 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.