Need Help - First-Timer With Raspberry Pi

Just as an outside observation. Since you are new and lost in the sauce right now, you really cannot learn when you don’t know what normal is.

As suggested run Raspian (RaspberryPi OS I think they call it now). It is tailored for the hardware. Establish a baseline and follow the tutorials. Once you know what to expect, then you can start distro hopping on an ARM based system. Even though it is advertised as a credit card computer, it is not configured or runs like a normal computer. There are a lot of hacks to get this to run. If you go for an OS that is not tailored for the hardware, you will have to manually apply those hacks yourself to get things to work normally.

Also LUbuntu is just Ubuntu with LDXE as the default DE. Ubuntu is a fork of Debian. The Raspian default de is LXDE.

I hope this does not come off as condescending or rude. I just saw a person new to GNU/Linux flailing and wanted to give some sound advise before you get frustrated and give up.

Also bravo for the patience that was shown in this thread. That is why I like this place.

3 Likes

I understand that you’re not condescending. Honestly, it was that video that I posted that kinda ef’ed up my perspective and put me on the wrong path. I should have just gone with the official tutorial guide that Airstripone posted from the begining. That’s the main lesson I learned here.

2 Likes

It’s fine.
I’ve used Linux daily for the last 5 years. I just got a pi, and am having to start from scratch on a bunch of stuff.
Lots to learn!
Google is your friend (or ddg.gg )

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 273 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.