Need help finding a PSU and Cables (Updated, still need help)

Ok, here's the short end of it.

I need a power supply for a Dell Precision 490 with a gtx 660ti. The 750w it comes with isn't going to cut it. I'm thinking around a 1000W should be adequate for the two ancient CPU's and GPU.

Which power supply and cables should I get? I'm assuming I need something that supports dual cpu's. Also need conversion cables for the Dell motherboard power connections. I'm also not looking to spend more than 150ish USD.

Suggestions?

UPDATE:
OK, so I've finally got most of my other projects done, and I'm back to this one.
Part of the reason I want a new PSU for this rig is that I don't trust the 10 year old one that is in there now, since this will be a Christmas present for a friend. I would like him to have a decent PSU in case he decides to build his own computer later on.

The particular problem I'm having is that my Dell Precision has TWO motherboard power connections. A normal ATX 24 pin and another 20 pin ATX connector. And just assume I'm getting another PSU for this rig (because I am).

What cable will I need to make this work? I was thinking something like an 8 pin EPS12v to 20 pin ATX, but I don't think those exist. I've looked.

Uhhh why won't 750w cut it? Each CPU is at most 150w and the gpu is also 150w. 300w is more than enough for overclocking and fans/hdds

1 Like

I would have to get an adapter for the original pci express power cable, and even then I believe that the original power supply only supplies around 75 watts through that one connector.

EDIT: The max combined power or both the 5V and 3.3V output is 150 watts. So I assume the one pci express power connector supplies around 75 watts, while the 3.3V supplies the other 75.
Still, the original PSU still only has one PCI Express connector, which does not supply enough power on its own.

a 4pin molex to pci-e will work fine.

gpus draw off the +12v, not the 5 or 3.3

1 Like

Yoink is dead on it.... but if you feel you must upgrade, a Supernova 750 is perfect., and a solid investment

bump (see updated topic above^^^)

Can't for the life of me find a pinout for "power 2"

I found that Dell had non-standard power connections from around 1998-2002, but this rig is from 2006. So I might be able to assume it's a standard 20 pin ATX12v connector. But if it is, how the hell am I to find a power supply that has dual 20+4 pin ATX12v 's?

I also looked into possibly finding an EPS12v 8 pin to ATX12v 20 pin adapter, but those don't exist because the pinouts and use cases for both those standards are completely different.
EPS12v = CPU power delivery, and ATX12v = motherboard power delivery.

@wendell have you got any ideas?

I'm about to give up on getting a new psu and just using a dual 4 pin molex to 6 pin pcie adapter for the GPU.
And just hope to god the old PSU doesn't melt and catch fire.

no idea.. ebay psu? and volt meter to diagnose it?

Hmmm, maybe. Would still have to get a Dell PSU though.
I think I'll try my luck with the old PSU and the molex solution.

Just thought I'd ask as a last resort. Thanks for the reply.

Cut ends off original after you figure out what they are then splice into new psu wiring?

There would be nothing to splice on a new PSU unless I was to run the 20+4 ATX12v in parallel, and I don't think that will work. Plus, I'd rather not play around with a new PSU that way.

Newer power supplies have both ATX12v and EPS12v rails, but the EPS12v 8 pin does not convert to an ATX12v 20+4 pin.

You CAN convert a 20+4 pin ATX12v to a EPS12v 8pin, but not the other way around.