Need help finalising my VT-D build

Okay.

So after numerous threads and much learning I have landed on the rough idea of the final components of my planned build, and thus they are as follows.

However I would like to say why I have chosen what and why the weird prices.

The reason the Ram and PSU are listed as £0 and the mobo being listed as £150 is due to the fact that I am buying these three items from a friend for £150 (a STEAL at that price).

I already own the GPU, Heatsink, Case and the 240GB Kingston SSD.

The CPU I will purchase used from my local Electronics supplier for £185, and the only thing I am paying full price new for is the M.2 SSD which will become my Linux boot drive.

https://uk.pcpartpicker.com/list/bY6LXH

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant

Type Item Price
CPU Cooler Noctua - NH-D9L 46.4 CFM CPU Cooler Purchased For £0.00
Motherboard Asus - H170M-PLUS Micro ATX LGA1151 Motherboard £150.00
Memory Kingston - Savage 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR4-2400 Memory £0.00
Storage Kingston - SSDNow V300 Series 240GB 2.5" Solid State Drive Purchased For £0.00
Storage Samsung - 850 EVO 250GB M.2-2280 Solid State Drive £86.94 @ Ebuyer
Video Card Sapphire - Radeon HD 7970 3GB Video Card Purchased For £0.00
Case Fractal Design - Core 1100 MicroATX Mini Tower Case Purchased For £0.00
Power Supply XFX - PRO Black Edition 850W 80+ Gold Certified Fully-Modular ATX Power Supply Purchased For £0.00
Other I7 - 6700 £185.00
Prices include shipping, taxes, rebates, and discounts
Total £421.94
Generated by PCPartPicker 2017-06-04 10:26 BST+0100

I chose the I7 based upon advice for VT-D functionality, and everything else is based on my own idea of what should be a good functioning system. I am just wondrous as to any other issues that may arise due to my hardware and/or software. if you have any better suggestions for the hardware I should utilise let me know, any feedback and advice is welcome.

Cheers!

Tl;Dr :
I basically just want to double check that everything will work as expected.

EDIT: Yes the Mobo does support VT-D

1 Like

While you might be able to accomplish your goal with these parts, as long as you are not planing to do anything that needs passthough and expect your new system to run really slow. If I understand what you are trying to do, expect to spend between $1500 and $8000 US dollars. I myself am spending $6800. US dollars for my new system. Of course I am trying to run 4 virtual machine at the same time. You can accomplish your needs for quite a bit less than I am spending. It all depends on what are are going to use your new system for, without knowing what your use purpose is it is very hard to make any recommendations.