Need Help: AMD EPYC 7643 on Gigabyte MZ01-CE1 - No POST, No Beeps

Hello everyone, this is my first post been lurking for a bit

I’ve come across a rather perplexing issue with the AMD EPYC 7643 processor when used on a Gigabyte MZ01-CE1 motherboard. Here’s the rundown:

• I am able to access the BMI.
  • There are no POST beeps or indications.
  • Caps lock and num lock lights don’t light up when pressed.
  • I have tried 4 different EPYC 7643 CPUs (all the same model).
  • I’ve also tried two different MZ01-CE1 motherboards.
  • All combinations produce the same outcome: no POST, no beeps, no keyboard indicators.

Things I have tried:

• Checked and reseated all connections.
  • Verified the power supply is functioning correctly.
  • Updated the motherboard’s BIOS (using a different compatible CPU for the update).
  • Made sure the RAM is compatible and reseated them in different slots.
  • Reset the CMOS.

I’m honestly stumped at this point. Given that multiple CPUs and motherboards are behaving the same way, it seems like there might be something else at play here. Maybe a compatibility issue or a setting I might be missing? Has anyone else encountered this issue or can offer some suggestions on what to try next?

Any advice or insights would be greatly appreciated. Thank you in advance for your help!

Best,
Sirico

It’s possible the CPUs are OEM locked. They may work only inndell or Lenovo or HP systems depending on where they were pulled from?

What version of the board is it? You may need the very latest bios (which you can flash from bmi) to boot a Milan cpu.

Hi Wendell,

Thanks for the reply, we’re on rev 3 for the ce1’s and rev 4 with the MZ72-HB0 which we RMA’d and awaiting its return.
I’ve tried the most recent bios flashes on all boards. Two CPUs came from a reputable supplier (scan) here in the UK as OEM, but I guess they could have been locked in testing or not as new as they say they were.

There’s no way to know is there apart from buying a dell board, which would in turn defiantly lock them. We’re finically quite deep into this project and only found out about the CPU locking recently from STH post from 2 years ago :frowning:

Too bad you’re in the UK I’d say mail them to me otherwise and I’ll help test.

can you take pics of how you have it cabled in and such?

does it turn on but not post (i.e. fans come up and it seems like its on?)

And you’ve got no gpu in when doing test, just the vga connected?

1 Like

Thanks for taking the time to help Wendell,

I have photos of some of the system lights

I can upload full motherboard photos tomorrow.

Regarding the post behaviour, the fans come one and die down as the BMC starts (solid⇾blinking).
At this point we can access Mega-Rac, but everything on the back IO apart from the NIC is unresponsive keyboard num/caps lock etc.
The KVM inside Mega-RAC has a no signal and the details in the inventory are for different machines.

I have the two PCIe and the 24 pins plugged in with the three fans plugged in, we initially had a 1200w on the HB0 and a 750w on the CE1.
I had it hooked up to VGA initially, but then put in a low powered AMD GPU as well.

We have two sticks of Samsung 32GB 3200MHz ECC DDR4 Registered populating C+D

This behaviour has been consistent through three boards, 4 EPYC 7643’s and two 7502P. We have never been past this initial wind down stage regardless of config.

Wider shots might be nice. Wondering if it’s power. Pcie power vs CPU 8 pin is different pinout. Or something like that

Hi Wendell

Thanks again for the time you’ve taken to look at this. I’m hoping below is some glaring, obviously simple thing we’ve missed.

We have some video of:

1. PSU and motherboard setup
  2. the connectors
  3. boot process

Screenshot 2023-08-24 082749

Screenshot 2023-08-24 082738

Screenshot 2023-08-24 082832

Screenshot 2023-08-24 082850

1 Like

Wide pic of the back side of the case with the side of?

We have a potential lead/cable (sorry) just noticed the motherboard power is different to both the 2 cables we have for CPU’s on our NZXT and Corsair PSU’s.
Would this be enough to cause these issues, say, if there’s a handover in power and two smart boys have used the wrong connector? So the systems are stalling waiting for a module that is currently dark.
We have ordered one from supermicro which has the pin-out config that matches the third picture below the mother board and PSU

Motherboard socket

The cpu-end of the cable

The PSU end of the cable

The cable with all our hopes and dreams

Hey Wendell

Not to sure what you needed, but here is the rear of the case we’re just using it to test.

Couple of shots of the board out of the case

The cables arrived this morning, and we have a new behaviour where they trip out the hx1200 we’re using.This is the same behaviour in the CE-1 too.

so if this is really a 1.0 board I think that only works with epyc naples?

since oyu can get to the ipmi can you flash the latest 3.x bios from?

when you ordered this board from the vendor which version did you order?

see the tabs on there… v1 for 7001, v2 for 7001/7002, v3 for 7003, etc.

I dont know if this is the issue, but maybe is the issue. The power connector thing is a bit of a worry but your picture looked like the right types of cables assuming they are matched to the right power supply.

the pinouts are NOT standardized at all. so the cables you ordered may not be compatible.

Thanks, Wendell,

All the boards are the most current iterations

The CE-1’s are rev 3.0
The HB-0 being rev 4
and the Supermicro is rev 1.02

Would you have any suggestions on PSU’s that we could get with the correct pin-out. Are we right in thinking they need to have 2x 8pin EPS 12V.

Current PSU’s are Corsair HX 1200 and the NZXT C750

The hx1200 should have two 8 pin eps. The 750 I’m not sure if it does or not.

Thanks for the quick reply, I think I just got confused thinking that was the name of the connector we needed. But I guess it’s a broader term.

This guy was the 8pin eps that came with the hx1200.

that didn’t match up but fits into our motherboards, I’m guessing this is a universal config?
But the motherboards act as if they’re not even plugged in as we get the same behaviour with them off the board

My thinking was that we get another PSU and try and match up the cpu connectors, but that’s really hard to do with the online images and searching for 8 pin eps 12v throws up various configs, and I’m a bit hung up on the Arch Square Square Arch thing our motherboards have on the latch side of the power socket. Do they have to match?

Decided to RTFM and the power being the issue has some good legs

Posting more for legacy sake

Do you know that Gigabyte server motherboard usually takes 3-5 minutes to boot up.

Hi Rhett,

thanks for the suggestion, we have left them on for the most of the day a few times but saw no changes.

We have post!

We orded a board,chip and memory pack from ebay. One dimm slot wasn’t working moving it about it turned out to be the stick. So I tried it with a stick of ram (samsung) from the build in this thread in the ebay supermicro, same thing empty DIMM

So knowing I had at least 7 sticks of functioning ram I took one out put it in our HB0 which had the same behaviour as the CE1 and we hadn’t gotten to post after a longer anixity inducing time spooling up than the supermicro we got post!

A huge thank you to Wendell we got to the bottom of this mystery.
Bent pins were killing ram sticks so we were taking those and putting them in other boards which in turn had no ram as it was a little silicone corpse sitting in the dimm.

Mystery solved, huge thanks to Wendell for the investigation.
Bent pins on the original socket were killing ram sticks. So when we put them in other boards they behaved the same as they just had little silicone corpses lying in their DIMM slots.

So the murderer was the socket in the build room with the pin short.

The board has been fixed, and we were able to get post and all DIMM slots.

Big thank-you to everyone who contributed to helping us out here.

1 Like