[Need feedback] Linux VFIO Ryzen build

Hi,
I’m making a new build for me home workstation/gaming PC and I would like to get some feedback/corrections/suggestions :slight_smile:

Context:

• I’m going for a VFIO build, because I like Linux and I do all my development/cloud work on Linux.
  • The non-gaming workloads are mostly going to consist of running several VMs/containers + plenty of browser tabs and compiling stuff (mostly non-intensive stuff, but occasionally bigger projects as well)
  • Gaming would be 1440p
  • Also, I’d like to have the possibility to overclock the CPU if I feel the need for it down the line

What kind of feedback I’m looking for:

• First of all, I tried to do some research on good parts for VFIO, but it would be nice if someone with VFIO experience could have a look and approve or point something out.
  • Budget-wise, I’m flexible, but I’m looking for best value for money, so any suggestions in that regard are welcome as well

Parts:
Below is a list of parts with some justifcation so that you can get a better idea about what I’m going for.

CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 3700X 3.6 GHz 8-Core Processor ($360)

The cores are nice for my VMs, containers, multitasking in general. Should be good enough for my gaming needs.

CPU Cooler: Noctua NH-D15 82.5 CFM CPU Cooler ($97)

In case I want to overclock later on, and also I prefer to run at cooler temperatures.

Motherboard: Gigabyte X570 AORUS PRO ATX AM4 Motherboard ($300)

Purely VFIO choice. Read a few threads here about the AORUS X570 lineup in general. I know Wendell recommended the Master but I wanted to get something cheaper.

Memory: Corsair Vengeance LPX 32 GB (2 x 16 GB) DDR4-3600 CL18 Memory ($209)

Again, VMs, browser tabs, etc. I’m running 32GB on my work laptop as well. This kit seems pretty good value and I wanted LPX because of the NH-D15.

Storage: Crucial P1 500 GB M.2-2280 NVME Solid State Drive ($78)

I really don’t care that much about the SSD. So-far I’ve been satisfied even with a normal SATA SSD. This is NVME and pretty good price. Open to suggestions.

Video Card (guest): Gigabyte GeForce RTX 2070 SUPER 8 GB WINDFORCE OC 3X Video Card ($620)

This was a tough choice. Under normal circumstances I would 100% go for 5700XT, but I can’t because of VFIO and the AMD reset bug. I was on the fence between 2060S and 2070S, but in the end I’d rather pay the 2070S price and not worry about my GPU for a few years.

Video Card (host): Sapphire NITRO R9 380 4GB ($0)

Already owned. Should be more than fine for host.

Case: Fractal Design Meshify C ATX Mid Tower Case ($100)

Nice airflow and I like the looks and Fractal in general.

Power Supply: Corsair RMx (2018) 650 W 80+ Gold Certified Fully Modular ATX Power Supply ($130)

Basically, I was looking at this PSU tier list on LTT forums and picked something that was in stock and good price. Open to suggestions of course.

The total price for this is $1894, I’d prefer to not go any higher unless there’s a really good reason (like much better value). If there’s room for going lower without sacrificing VFIO compatibility or too much performance, that’d be great.

Appreciate any feedback. Thanks ! :slight_smile:

This topic was automatically closed 273 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.