Need advice on Headphone Amp, possibly DAC

I recently picked up a pair of Beyerdynamic DT770 phones @ 80 ohms. These things are great, but they have unfortunately exposed my subpar audio gear (mostly integrated audio). The only hardware I have that can drive them properly is, ironically, a gaming laptop with an integrated amp in the sound output.

The DT770s aren’t exactly the most portable headphones, but I’d still like something I can take with me on the go. Are there any bus- or battery-powered amps that would fill the role? Looking to spend $100 - $150.

1 Like

If you could stretch your dollar a little, the iFi Zen V2 isn’t too bad.

1 Like

If you are coming from integrated audio, even this 40EUR/50USD one from Behringer will be a world of difference:
https://www.behringer.com/product.html?modelCode=P0CH4
from that point up budget is your limit …
Audio out will still be from you integrated interface (i.e: quality will suck!)
With your budget you may as well look at DACs that are portable and have headphones out, like:
hip-dac2 by iFi audio - Our portable USB dac/amp. Listen to Spotify, Tidal on the move. (over your budget)
https://www.fiio.com/k3 (in your budget) …
Keep in mind that cheaper DACs may or may not have enough power to drive your DT770s …

1 Like

For “strapped to back of phone”-use, iFi Hipdac or XDuoo XD05.
Another more compact option would be something like the Fiio BTR5.
All of the above can be used via USB from your PC/Phone and in case of the XD05 and BTR5 also Bluetooth.

For portable-use (= connected to a PC/Laptop), something like the Violectric Chronos could be interesting. The Chronos is outside of your budget though.

Found a stationary solution for now. I had an old Dell workstation with this sound card in it:

The drivers on that page did not work, however these did work:

The card also works OOB on Linux, and the X-Fi and the DT770s sound fabulous together on either OS.

The fly in the ointment is that it is a legacy PCI card, so finding transplanting it into a modern system will be tricky. For now though, it sounds great.

That leaves me without a mobile solution, but that is not an immediate concern. Would a modern DAC sound better than this old thing?

Honestly, buying a surplus lg v40 may be a worthy option if you want portable audio. That phones DAC is fantastic.

ssl 2 soundcard. its driving my monitors like crazy. . The sound card works under linux. The most worth of the soundcard are the plugins ilok so they don’t work really under linux

And if you not happy connect that to some headphone amp in the future that can swith its input like.

What about the fiio k5? Ebay prices are good.