Need A new PC...looking for advice on part list

The AMD 500-series chipset and accompanying 3000 series Ryzen CPU’s will be supporting PCIe 4.0. Which, while not needed for current GPU’s, will be useful for next gen storage and other motherboard periphery like Thunderbolt 4, NVMe RAID, etc.
Additionally, pretty much anything in the R5 3600 series should be more than enough for your needs with prices ranging from an estimated $178-230 with rumored turbo clocks as high as 4.8GHz and a G model if you really want onboard graphics.
Supposedly AMD Navi is expected in October if you reeaaalllly wanted to wait around for AMD to get it together on the GPU front, but 1) that’s a long time to wait for something we basically know nothing about, and 2) as great as the Ryzen chips have been, their GPU division track record has been sh*t. I wouldn’t hold my breath for an AMD Halloween miracle. Regarding 10-series GPU’s, MAYBE if the right deal came along and you could find a 1070ti-1080ti for significantly less than their 1up tiered 20-series counterpart (1070ti-2060, 1080-2070, 1080ti-2080), I would consider 2yr old - likely mining hardware-, but most of the deals on the unsold stock have dried up, and what’s left is worn out crypto hangover sell offs. Not a great long term purchase.

1 Like

Mining Hand-me-downs is something I’m genuinely concerned with. Which is why I’m planning on avoiding Used video cards.

1 Like

Even if you don’t wait until Ryzen 3 is out and put through its paces you should be seeing plenty of sweet deals on 2xxxx processors in April or May as inventory will be drawn down.

1 Like

That was another thought I had I could by 2xxx at a discount then upgrade to the 3xxx next year or 1.5 years

1 Like

i’m also looking to replace my mid 2012 15-inch MBP with something new… only my use case is different… i don’t game but i plan on buying this 43inch 4k display “LG 43UD79-B” currently €600.
and i think i will be buying a high end ryzen3 or threadripper will see… as that cpu doesn’t come with a build in gpu and i need something that can output 4k but leave my cpu for other tasks like running my vm’s ahaha… i do have to look at sum gpu’s…or i could opt for a nice Lenovo X1 carbo pro with 32gig of mem… the major problem i have with my macbook is that it runs so hot and i want to switch to native linux Fedora …ahh well will see… next couple of months promise to be interesting… hope my old macbook doesn’t die on me…

2700 is on sale for $229 at newegg. $80 more but you get 2 more cores. If you have a micro-center near you, you may be able to find a combo that is cheaper than buying all this stuff separate. Not a big fan of Seagate drives personally. The SSD cache in the firecuda is more useful when you have your OS running on it compared to just games library. A OS makes a lot of random writes, while a games library doesn’t really. A SSHD won’t hurt performance, but in your situation, you won’t see a huge benefit like you would just having everything on an ssd.

https://hdd.userbenchmark.com/SpeedTest/193028/ST1000LX015-1U7172

2x the space for less, plus it’ll last for a long time since Hitachi is the Toyota of the hard drive world.
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B002WGH2QK/?tag=pcpapi-20
https://hdd.userbenchmark.com/SpeedTest/1289/Hitachi-HDS722020ALA330

Also, the WD BLUE 500GB ssds are a little cheaper than the Samsung if your trying to penny pinch. Samsung > WD Blue B/C higher TBW rating , but they still aren’t a bad choice. NVMe is getting cheaper now too if you would want to go that route.

And IF you know what to look for, and know what to avoid, Ebay, FB marketplace and Cragslist can be your best friends. IF

Good luck!

1 Like

Dell XPS 15, Lenovo Thinkpad X1 Extreme, and the Xiaomi Mi notebook Pro are all options you might like. Remember that you can only sadly get a 16:10 display on the Macbooks.

Most mining hand-me-downs are perfectly fine. They have been undervolted and downclocked to achieve maximum power efficiency. They’ve also been run 24/7 which is much better on the actual silicon than heating up and cooling down and heating up and cooling down over 3 years.

2 Likes

I guess I always the constant load was bad for the cards

I’ve honestly been hung up on the idea of using the 2.5" storage drive mounted on the back side of the tray along side the ssd. Mostly for the clean aesthetics. But since the Meshify hides the drive bays behind that shroud there’s honestly no reason not to get a traditional HDD more storage cheaper. Thanks for setting me straight haha

The cards are rated for $ years at 6 load, the miners are running them significantly under spec, so think about it like using a semi truck to transport a kayak.

1 Like

The only concern with constant running is it will wear the capacitors down, but if the heat is kept lower than the rated temp for the rated hours it’ll be fine (i.e. the caps run at 60c 24/7 but the caps are rated for 85c for 5000 hours. The caps would still be in pretty good condition even after several years of mining, as long as the person owning the cards makes sure they’re kept clean and the temps low.

For buying mining cards, my main questions would be what temp the cards ran at, and what was the fanspeed. The fans are usually the first things to die on a mining card

1 Like

You could get a mining card to get into a more beefy GPU or…

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant

CPU: AMD - Ryzen 5 2600 3.4 GHz 6-Core Processor ($149.99 @ Amazon)
Motherboard: Gigabyte - B450M DS3H Micro ATX AM4 Motherboard ($74.99 @ Amazon)
Memory: G.Skill - Aegis 16 GB (2 x 8 GB) DDR4-3000 Memory ($84.99 @ Newegg)
Storage: Western Digital - Blue 500 GB 2.5" Solid State Drive ($57.99 @ Amazon)
Video Card: Gigabyte - GeForce RTX 2060 6 GB OC Video Card ($346.99 @ SuperBiiz)
Case: Fractal Design - Meshify C ATX Mid Tower Case ($93.98 @ Newegg)
Power Supply: SeaSonic - EVO Edition 620 W 80+ Bronze Certified Fully-Modular ATX Power Supply ($59.90 @ B&H)
Case Fan: Fractal Design - SSR3-140-WT 56.1 CFM 140mm Fan ($8.99 @ SuperBiiz)
Case Fan: Fractal Design - SSR3-140-WT 56.1 CFM 140mm Fan ($8.99 @ SuperBiiz)
Total: $886.81 No Rebates!!!
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2019-02-13 21:28 EST-0500

The 2060 beats a 1070 I believe.

1 Like

never thought of looking at "Xiaomi Mi " .
seems tehere is a dutch store ?
https://premiumgear.nl/product/xiaomi-notebook-pro/
seems to have 2heatpipe design… something i just started to pay attention to after hearing someone mention this… only thing i don’t like is the 16gb max i would prefer to upgrade that as well… from 16 currently to 32gb …
don’t know how well it runs Fedora …price seems ok… thanks for the tip…

I’m not an expert, but I believe the RTX 2060 readily beats the 1070ti and trades blows with the 1080.
The new 1660ti is apparently a more direct 1070 competitor, although I would personally not go below a 2060/1070ti in terms of performance. Any less and your Graphical processing power is effectively lower than an XBOne X and what self respecting PC gamer could let that stand?

1 Like

So after watching https://youtu.be/WRPlBV8Xp5I and checking up on Amazon the 1660ti seems like a reasonable competitor for what I’m looking for.

More review material on the 1660ti

1 Like

Good info GN is always incredibly thorough

Correction, the new LG gram 17 in has a 2560 x1600 screen (16:10), and it can be upgraded to 24GBs of ram. (8 GBs soldered, 16GB + in slot.) Sadly no dGPU though. NP

AMD, according to Jayztwocents, is dropping the MSRP of the Vega 56 to $279. This is the reference card, but still.

Is the GTX 1660 Ti the gift that keeps on giving? Price drops across the board?

1 Like