Navi Reset Kernel Patch

Does anyone got the patch to work reliable on Unraid? I’m running 6.8.0 rc7 (kernel 5.3.12.)
If yes, is there anywhere instruction on how to patch kernel with the fix?
If it’s already answered somewhere i’m sorry but i couldnt find it.
Also kinda newb on patching kernels :slightly_smiling_face:
Thanks

For me it works on Unraid 6.8.0 final (except Navi audio). You can find my custom kernel 4.19.88 in the unraid forum:
[KERNEL]custom kernel build with some useful patches (2019.11.10 update support for 6.8.0rc5)

=> Page 3

could you share you pathed kernel?thx

Sorry, it’s not allowed to upload files here in this forum for me… I’m new here :wink:

But I’ve already shared my kernel in the Unraid forum.

Works great on my B450 board + Sapphire 5700 XT Pulse and also for another Unraid user on X570 board + 5700 XT reference desigin.

I’m already at rc7. so to use the kernel i have to revert to rc5 right?

Also i’m upgrading in 2-3 days to x399 Gigabyte Ex Designare, and TR2920
Do you know if any bios and which have or dont have this reset bug?
Should i flash the latest bios?

Thanks.

*If i’m getting out of subject. Please tell me!

There is no BIOS level fix for this problem, it’s kernel only.

Thanks for the clarification. And for your work of course!
Hopefully Unraid Devs will include your patch again later. I don’t know why they removed it exactly…

No worries, it was removed because it causes some systems that were working to break. The new version is better but still not perfect and needs work.

I saw your new version and notified the Unraid devs, if they include it on the next rc update, ill be happy to test it and post my findings!

No worries. Please note though that I have not tried to upstream this patch yet as I know it’s still not working fully on some platforms. When it’s fixed it will go upstream for the mainline kernel.

No worries! For me, even if it’s 50/50 on working its better from what i do now… (Detach, Sleep, Wakeup, rescan pci bus)!

Hi @xracer
Can you please share the patched proxmox 6.1 kernel 5.3 for me.
I am nood in term of kernel patching.

If someone can build the kernel for unraid 6.8.0 rc7 with only this patch added i’m more than happy to test and give some feedback.

I’m just too newb to build it myself :slight_smile:

Is there a manual Navi reset application like the Vega 10/12 reset application which does not need patching the kernel?

No, there is not. The manual reset was just a proof of concept, it’s not “the fix”.

Hi,
I have the new TRX40 platform, and bought a Navi10 (5700 XT), and plugged in yesterday. I expected the reset bug, but I need someone to help me clarify something.

On my Vega10, I had the reset bug, which, really meant, as long as you keep the VM going, all is well, and I’ve had it run for multiple days without issues. When I shut off the VM I also shut off the host, so no problem there.

On the Navi10 though, first boot of the VM works, but it can’t even reboot the VM (ie, windows > reboot, like, after installing Windows updates or similiar). It prints the dmesg errors, and never starts up again. I was NOT expecting that bug, and I am unsure if I should have, as posters here seem to use reset (ie restart VM) and reboot (ie windows > restart) interchangably.

So, is it normal that the VM refuses to even restart/reboot? and if it’s not, any help? As a reference, the nVidia cards work flawlessly.

Thanks a lot for your hard work!

1 Like

that is currently the expected behavior with Navi10. you’re doing nothing wrong.

1 Like

Have you tried the v2 Navi reset patch?

Nope, but I will now :slight_smile:

What does it build against? I guess I can figure out if it does not apply cleanly, but I will be trying it against the Fedora 31 kernel 5.4.6ish.

Thanks!

It was developed against a git master at the time, however it should cleanly apply to pretty much every 5 series kernel as 99.9% of it is it’s just additions, not alterations.

1 Like