NASty - Ryzen based 10Gbe pure SSD NAS

I am selling 10GB SFP cards if you need any.

3 Likes

Was considered above, there isnā€™t any information on ECC support for it. ECC is a requirement, so no dice.

1 Like

hmm. pity.

personally iā€™d take the punt. itā€™s still a ryzen/zeppelin core, iā€™d bet itā€™s still there just not listed as itā€™s not aimed at that market.

amd donā€™t seem to be in the business of deliberately crippling their silicon for artificial product segmentation like intel.

1 Like

Yes, but the inbuilt GPU may not play well with the ECC. Iā€™m not a pro, so donā€™t quote me on this, but it it wouldnā€™t be surprising.

as an asideā€¦ my older generation amd APU, an n54 turion does support ecc.

:+1:

so. iā€™d say there is hope.

edit
damn, i think its an apu. the little box has onboard video. no card. but maybe has a discrete vga chip somewhere. hmmā€¦

1 Like

I also have a 5350 (is that kabini?) as a router in my momā€™s house and that does not support ECC.

From everything I read it looks just like APUs are no good for ECC.

Hey @noenken, I recently deployed an all SSD FreeNAS box and Iā€™ve been happy with the performance. In my case, Iā€™ve got 12 SSDs in RAIDZ2. I get about 900mbs write and 600-700mbs reads over the network. I used the tuning parameters found here.

Plan is to add another block of 12 assuming all goes well over the next month or so.

If you run into any issues or discover anything interesting, please @ me if I donā€™t chime in.

Best of luck with the APU. Donā€™t be too afraid of ditching ECC.

1 Like

Iā€™m not ditching ECC and Iā€™m not running an APU.
That was a bit OT what you read there. :wink:

Anyway, thanks for the supportive words.
Iā€™ll look into those tweaks when I really start testing the box. :+1:

I am putting the picture and partslist into the first post

I havenā€™t decided on drives yet, I am looking at crucial MX500 2TB.
Price/gig ratio is one of the best and they are pretty quick as well.
If you have suggestions for better suited drives, let me know.

Also ā€¦

SUGGEST NAMES FOR MY NAS!

Thatā€™s always a brilliant idea on the internet, right?

1 Like

TheFlash

2 Likes

I went with Evos, mainly for the 5 year warranty. HP S700ā€™s are what you can configure with a 45drives system, so those are probably a safer bet, but only 3 year warranty on those.

1 Like

FlashGordon

2 Likes

The Blitz Cause flash is already taken

1 Like

Storey McStorefaceā€¦i think that is what you expected when you said itā€™s a good idea to ask internet for namesā€¦ or Flashy McFlashface

3 Likes

names

pr0nhub
zippyfs

orā€¦ because zfs

tank

(or variations thereof, e.g., T-60, T-72, M1A1, etc.)

:smiley:

2 Likes

That is something to check indeed. Thanks.

I watched a youtube video the other day on the top 10 worst shit 4chan pulled over the years. So ā€¦ I was fully prepared for a lot worse. :wink:

Gonna leave it open until the end of the week.
So, go on everybody.

NAME MY NAS!

FYI that rhymes with Kiss my Ass

Expensive

2 Likes

Depends on many aspects, like:

• what protocol(s) are you going to use? (SMB, NFS, iSCSI, FTP, etc)
  • what Raid-Z level are you going to use? Z2 is more CPU intensive than Z(1). Z3 even more than Z2. Mirror and Raid10 are the least CPU intensive
  • are you going to use compression? if so, what algorithm? (lz4, gzip, etc)
  • are you going to use deduplication?

RAID-Z(1) on 4 drives for now, up to 12 drives total in the end.
NFS only, no compression or dedup.

StoreME.

2 Likes