NAS / Backup

Hi Everyone ,

Need some advice … I am trying to find a way to backup all my current / furfure systems … Currently I have a Windows 11 , Windows 10 , and a Truenas computer …

Right now my Windows computers backup to a 2 day Synology and the TrueNas backups to some USB drives I had laying around …

What I am trying to plan is a single box that will back everything that I can grab and run if my place ever catches on fire or something happens …

My plan was to get a Synology DS1621+ and have everything back up to that … But with the cost of it I am wondering if building something might be cheaper … I saw a video about that Jonsbo N3 Mini …

I already have hard drives I can use just need a case and the cast of the parts … Trying to keep it same and compact … So thought I would ask here for advice and see if anyone got back to me …

Thanks for the help …

Hmm, a few comments:

1. How much data are we talking about? 1TB? 8TB? 100TB?

2. How important is this stuff? Will your livelihood depend on it? In that case the 3-2-1 rule should be followed (at least 3 backups, at least 2 on different media, at least 1 off-site).

3. Is there a way to compress, scale down or otherwise “tier” the importance of data? Some data maybe have a shelf life, like for instance your 2010 tax papers may no longer be important to keep around maybe?

4. How hot does the NAS need to be? Are you working on this data daily and need a sync, or is it more of a put-it-in-the-archives-and-forget-about-it thing?

I am only asking, because a 16TB 2 bay NAS solution is plenty for many, but it is hard to advise without more details here.

2 Likes

Hmm…

2 Likes

Thanks TimHolus,

for the information … I will look into those , but think that is going to be way out of my price range … I am hoping / planning on reusing some WD Red’s that I have … so that cost of that Asustor box is going to be the same as a 6 or 8 bay Synology than I am not saving any money …

But will look into it … Thanks …

You could look at the Odroid HC4… If it’s going to be a small emergency carry box(2 hdd). But the price is not low.
https://www.hardkernel.com/shop/odroid-hc4-p-kit/

The cheapest thing will be to put something together yourself.

Thanks Tim for the info …

Yeah that is why I was looking at that N3 from Jonsbo … because its got 8 hard drive slots and its not that big and the cost isn’t to bad and might be cheaper than getting a Synology …

Only trouble with the N3 is I don’t know of any ITX board with 8 sata ports or two pcie slots …

So …

Find a motherboard that has at least one pcie port/2 sata and M.2 and you can use M.2 → SATA

SATA ports on the motherboard, SATA ports on the PCIE card, SATA ports on M.2. Connecting 8 drives will not be a problem.

AAhhh instersting TIm … didn’t know they made those … that would fix the issue of needing 8 sata ports …

But I wonder if they make an ITX board with 2 nvme slots … I wanted to use the PCIE slot for a 10gb nic card …

There are such…

But there are also different combinations, a loose, more or less precise list of mini-itx with at least one m.2, pcie, and sometimes 4 sata, some have different numbers, but you have to check it yourself…

ASRock Fatal1ty B450 GAMING-ITX/AC
Gigabyte B550I AORUS PRO AX
ASRock B550M-ITX/AC
ASRock B650E PG-ITX WIFI
ASRock B550 PHANTOM GAMING-ITX/AX
ASUS ROG STRIX B650E-I GAMING WIFI
Gigabyte H610I DDR4
MSI MPG B650I EDGE WIFI
ASRock Z790M-ITX WIFI
ASRock H610M-ITX/AC
ASRock B760M-ITX/D4 WIFI
MSI MPG B760I EDGE WIFI DDR4
MSI MPG Z790I EDGE WIFI
ASRock A520M-ITX/AC
ASRock J5040-ITX
ASRock J3455-ITX
Asus ROG STRIX B760-I GAMING WIFI
Biostar B450NH 6.0
ASRock J3355B-ITX
ASRock J4125B-ITX
ASRock Z490 PHANTOM GAMING ITX/TB3
ASRock Z690M-ITX/AX
Gigabyte A520I AC
Asus ROG STRIX X670E-I GAMING WIFI
Asus ROG STRIX Z690-I GAMING WIF
Asus PRIME H610I-PLUS D4-CSM
Biostar A68N-2100K
Asus ROG STRIX Z790-I GAMING WIFI
Asus ROG STRIX Z490-I GAMING
Asus J1900I-C
Biostar J4125NHU
ASRock Z590 PHANTOM GAMING-ITX/TB4
Biostar B660T-SILVER
Gigabyte B760I AORUS PRO DDR4
Biostar Z590I VALKYRIE
ASRock Z690 PHANTOM GAMING-ITX/TB4
MSI MEG Z690I UNIFY

Relatively popular in my geo is Gigabyte B550I AORUS PRO AX, Gigabyte A520I AC… Asus ROG STRIX B760-I GAMING WIFI It has…

1 x PCIe 5.0 x16 slot

Total supports 2 x M.2 slots and 4 x SATA 6Gb/s ports*

Intel® 13th & 12th Gen Processors
M.2_1 slot (Key M), type 2260/2280 (supports PCIe 4.0 x4 mode)
Intel® B760 Chipset**
M.2_2 slot (Key M), type 2242/2260/2280 (supports PCIe 4.0 x4 mode)
4 x SATA 6Gb/s ports

• Intel® Rapid Storage Technology supports SATA RAID 0/1/5/10.

Mini-ITX Form Factor
6.7 inch x 6.7 inch ( 17 cm x 17 cm )

So you should be able to connect 8 SATA, one boot NVMe and 10G PCIe.

2 Likes

Thanks Tim for the information … Also wanted to thank you for your time and help … Out of all the other fourms I have posted on … you have been the only one to send me advice and help point me in the right direction …

I just hope that going this way is the right idea and will be cheaper than having to pay $1k for a synology with 6 to 8 drives bays …

So let me ask you this … if you were building one what would you run for an OS ? windows ? or Truenas ?

The goal is make a backup box to where I can back everything up into one spot … Thanks again …

Preferably the one you feel most confident about…

Most people choose TrueNAS, it is a good proven solution and you can safely think about it. Other options are OpenMediaVault or the paid Unraid.

Run it in VirtualBox and do cognitive tests.

I would choose TrueNAS or OpenMediaVault… I personally use OpenMediaVault but that’s because my NAS is ARM.

This depends mostly on what your capacity needs are, a Flashstor 6 bay cost $449 and 4 TB drives cost $135-$180 depending on how picky you are. Let us assume price of $180, then this is the capacity table:

No. of drives Price Raw Mirrored RAID5 RAID6
1 $180 4TB - - -
2 $360 8TB 4TB - -
3 $540 12TB - 8TB -
4 $720 16TB 8TB 12TB 8TB
5 $900 20TB - 16TB 12TB
6 $1080 24TB 12TB 20TB 16TB

So less than $1600 for a 24TB portable NAS, or $810 for a mirrored 4TB that can then be upgraded to a much bigger capacity later on.

Building a Mech NAS in a DIY has something like this for comparison:

PCPartPicker Part List

Type Item Price
CPU Intel Core i3-13100 $134.99
CPU Cooler Noctua NH-L9i-17xx $44.95
Motherboard Asus ROG STRIX B760-I GAMING WIFI $199.99
Memory Silicon Power SP032GXLWU600FDEAE 2x16 GB DDR5-6000 CL40 $69.97
Storage Samsung 980 250 GB M.2-2280 PCIe 3.0 $33.20
Case Jonsbo N3 $160.00
Power Supply Silverstone SFX 450W 80+ Bronze $91.15
Total $734.25

If you only need 4TB mirrored capacity the Flashstor is a really competitive option to start with. If you need more like 100TB the jonsbo build outlined above is better.

Again, need more info to advice further.

Thanks Wertigon

For the break down and all the information … I am not sure what info you need … but if this helps … my current TrueNas media server has about 20tb of stoarge and I am currently using around 9tb of it … then my two windows computers are about 1tb between the two …

So I need a base backup that has atleast 10tb with room to grow …

I have a Truenas Mini R that is going to replace my current Truenas box … So planned on taking the 6 x 6tb drives I have now out of my current box and use them for what will be the new backup box … and before someone says anything I didn’t buy the Mini R I to my surprise won the give away they were running a couple of months ago …

Hope that helps everyone …

Thanks Tim for the info …

I was just thinking it should be TrueNas as well seeing how if I am going to be running a Truenas file / media server then it would be easy to just setup replication jobs to do the backups … I think …

I am still very new to Truenas so still learning … I have been a windows guy for over 30 years now …

I will just have to make like an smb share and use some 3rd party program to backup my windows computers as I hate windows backup …

Thanks, that helps a lot. So, if I understand this correctly, you would like to basically add more capacity to your NAS, and have it be portable enough that in case of emergency you would like to be able to take it and just go, losing perhaps the last 100GB or so not yet synced, and this new solution should ideally cost less than $1k, but you could reach above if required?

Then, here is a slightly revised build that allows for 16TB mirrored for now plus your 6x6TB array. Drives included in price.

PCPartPicker Part List

Given your low current demands though, a case can be made for the Flashstor, given that 8TB and 16TB m.2 drives will start dropping in price soon. By 2026-2027 sometime, a 16TB m.2 will cost roughly $250, which is about the same as a 16TB HDD today. Bulk HDD storage is going out of fashion quite fast. That said, it is not yet obsolete.

However, the $799 12 Bay Flashstor Pro + 4x4TB of NVMe drives + new RAM would bring the total cost to around $1600 and only provide 12TB of usable redundant storage. Plenty of room to grow the following years though. :slight_smile:

Thanks Werigon,

For all the info … that is a big help …

Yeah I know HD’s are starting to go the way of the dodo bird … but seeing how I will have 6 x 6tb WD Red’s once I get the Mini R working and everything moved over to it … Figured might as well use them for backups …

I do like the size and compact of the Flashstor … sadly it’s just way out of my price range and currently I have no really good solid backups … My 2 bay Synology that backups up my windows computers is flaky and I have two usb ext hard drives for my current Truenas box which kind of works …

One thing to think about is with doing Jonsbo N3 setup , is that down the road I can always swap out the HD’s for M.2 drives with the 2.5 cards that let you do that … So wouldn’t be a total lose and yeah you would lose a little preform by using the adapter card , but not much …

If I could afford it , I would just build anything and then have it replicate offsite to backblaze or someone … but trying to backup 10TB worth of data to cloud I cant afford the monthly bill …

So hence why I am trying to find something else that will work and just be local … Only thing I would add to your build is would be nice to have a 10gb network card for future networking upgrades …

Yeah, I understand. Price is always a factor in these things, and m.2 SSD NAS is at the point where infrastructure is cheaper than HDDs now, so while buying drives + NAS the m.2 setup can actually be as cheap as, if not cheaper, than HDDs. Despite HDDs being $15/TB and SSDs being $35/TB right now.

Personally I think Flashstor for what you get is an amazing deal, 6 bays and <30W power draw for $449 that is a steal, 12 bays and <50W for $800 is an even bigger steal, and there are a lot less things that can go wrong with the Flashstor as opposed to a HDD NAS to boot.

Now, is it prime time for the Flashstor, not yet, still need SSDs to go below $15-$20 / TB first.

I would just go with SATA 2.5" SSDs directly for that, interfaces will still be SATA so no real point in throwing in NVMe m.2 in there in that case. It will not save you any space in either case and the 2.5" market is already going lower in price than the m.2 market.

Yeah, you have basically two upgrades, either a low end discrete GPU like the RX 7600 or RTX 3050 for video decoding, or a 10 GbE. My builds are not end all be all but an anchor point for further discussion, if you are happy with that spec though go for it :slight_smile:

Thanks again Wertigon for the information …

If I wanted to get that Flashstor device I would close to 2K + … the device itself and then 12 drives in order to get enough storage to cover what I currently have and give me some room to grow …

At that price I might as well get some crazy 12 bay Synology or just get the 6 or 8 bay one I was looking at it … As its cheaper …

Yeah that is true … if I go with the N3 I could just over time switch out the WD Red’s that I have with some type of Kioxia ssd …

this box is just for backups only , so don’t need a video card for decoding or anything like that … that is why I was thinking the 10gb nic so it would keep up with trying to backup the Truenas box , and windows machines …

Just because you buy a 12 bay does not mean you must get all SSDs at once, starting with four 4TB drives give you 12TB of redundant storage and then you buy more as required. 8TB is slowly sliding downwards and could go as low as $300 or even lower before end of next year. 16 TB is going to follow that trend. Buying that now though, for both NAS and drives… Yes, we are looking at roughly $1500 and yes, that is a lot of money.

I can fully understand you still wanting to stick with HDDs though, and there is nothing wrong with that. Both are good options, one looks more to the future and saves more money in the long run while the other save money now, but at the risk of capacity outstripping bandwidth.

HDDs are, to quote a certain machine,

1 Like

Yeah I do see where you are coming from with the Flashsor … but sadly its just out of my price range and will be for some time …

That is why I was trying to use hardware I already have to try to keep the cost down …

Only thing someone said was if I was going to build something try to use a Micro ATX board instead of a ITX board as it will give me more options … But I haven’t looked into that yet as I would think it would make the case bigger and less easy to grab and run so to speak …