Mystery of the disappearing drives!?

Hi,

Context

I have been having an issue for a long time with my windows plex server.
Its a mini Lenovo desktop which runs 24/7 and the storage comprises a 500GB SSD for music
and all other data is on an external 4-bay JBOD enclosure this one

The drives inside named plex 1 and 2 are 8TB Seagate NAS drives and the other 2 are just run-of-the-mill WB blues.

The issue

For ages, I have been having the issue where at random intervals (usually once a day) one of the drives would disconnect
and I would have to restart the server for it to reappear. To try and help fix this I have set the server to automatically restart
and 1:00 am however it still is an issue daily/bi-daily.

I have tried looking at the power management of the drives/controller and can’t work out the issue!? Is it likely this is just an issue
with the external enclosure? it’s really hard getting a quality multi-bay JBOD enclosure these days. Or is it a Windows/Drive issue?

Really welcome your opinions and advice!!

Have you tried any troubleshooting steps already?

Maybe, if you have another computer that you can hook the external enclosure up to, to see if it’ll drop a hard drive after some amount of time.
Have you tried live booting a linux distro on a computer and see if the enclosure is stable with that.

Also, is it a particular drive that drops out every time. If so have you tried swapping the drives around in the enclosure to ensure it’s not a hardware issue.

If it is a particular drive, is it one of the WD blues? The drive may be going into a low power state and parking the heads and the enclosure sees it as offline.

Perhaps ejecting and reseating all of the drives could help.

Just some basic thoughts for you to explore.

1 Like

Hey thanks for getting back to me.

I have tried several troubleshooting bits so far.

Different USB ports
Switching drives around as it seemed to be drive 1 (Seagate ) but when I changed the drive sled order 2 different drives ended up going offline.

I have just gone into power plan and disabled USB selective suspend to see if that helps.

You check for bios update?

1 Like

Yep I did that about a week ago to the latest stable version

1 Like

Ageing psu on jbod, is the load high on any of the drives when it fails?

This topic was automatically closed 273 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.