My "Review" of the iPhone XS

It’s great.

I used an original Pixel XL and decided to get an iPhone XS. So far my experience has been great, but I also think there’s some obvious pros and cons between both of them.

Google I think has got the home screen sorted pretty decently. Its not perfect but you have more power with it than on iOS. iOS has the swipe right widget screen and its does an OK job, but I think Android does the home screen overall better. its more useful, and can save you a click of an app.

I also think Android does detection of some swipes a little better. On iOS it seems like you have to be quite precise, specifically with swiping from the opposite edge of the screen and the top left swipe down for lock screen info. (let me know if there’s just a setting for this).

A couple of things I did notice fairly quickly is things like the lack of small call detection, on android though this relies on the use of data collected on everyone using that feature. While its optional on android, turn it off and you lose the functionality completely, so on the face of it, it seems like iOS doesn’t have some of the features android might have that relied on the collective accumulation of user data. In saying that though, the spam call detection on Android never worked for me, it never detected one. That may just be the small user bases using it (Android O/P?).

iOS does have a few oddities, you can dismiss the call screen when there’s an incoming call without rejecting the call, but overall there wasn’t much I missed except just to get used to a different UI and some different features.

iOS in my opinion has going for it the security and longer longevity over Android.

On the security side, Apple appear to be pushing the security of their devices where they can despite government and 3rd party attempts to make and sell exploits. Google does their fair share as well, but Apple have a fairly strong stance on this in my option. Additionally features like the SOS function that disables biometric authentication are a big plus imo, even if its not something you’ll need often, having it is better than not.

This extends to their other devices as well, with for example the microphone hardware disconnect on the MacBook Pro and MacBook Air which can’t be bypassed by software.

Continuing on the security side, the iOS implementation of password management in iOS 12 I’m leaning on arguing is better than Googles. Although google has have integrated password management longer (though though an accessibility hack until recently), the iOS version I think is implemented better. I’ve been testing it with apples keychain and last pass using biometrics for authentication. It pretty much “just works” everywhere. The only thing last pass doesn’t seem to do it update password if you change them, it doesn’t detect that on iOS. I can’t remember if google does (i don’t think it does).

Security updates are also a big thing for me, my phone needs them. And Apple provides updates generally for about 5/6 years. iOS 12 for example i supported on iPhones up to the iPhone 5s. While you can root most android phones and put on a third party rom, I don’t consider this a real solution to dropped support. You have no firmware updates and are now hoping a 3rd party volunteer will patch your phone though channels which aren’t as secure. But yes you can do it. I think 1st party support is a higher benefit, something android really needs to catch up on.

I’ve been pretty impressed with the software. iOS is a strong OS. I have had a couple of hiccups with a black screen, though this reset by holding the power button (didn’t restart the OS it seemed to reset the UI?). On iOS 12.1 i’ve not had this issue yet.

3rd party apps ive also been pretty impressed with as well, I can see why Apple makes so much money on the App Store, the apps can be worth the money. That said, I think the google play store is easier to find things in than the iOS App Store. the play store seems to have more categories, searches seem to provides a larger amount of results that might be what you were looking for. On the other hand, the google play store is filled with absolute tonnes of crap and malware type apps (be it malicious code or malicious app). the apple store isn’t immune to this, ive seen some bits on the internet about some bad apps as well trying to scam people.

On a little side note on apple apps. Ive found them to be quite good. the office apps are nice, work well, fast, and ive been using their numbers app and notes app to good effect. Their podcasts app is also actually pretty good (@wendell still no L1 on iTunes?).

Where apple seems to shine quite a bit is if you have any other apple device. They work together seamlessly. Copy something on your phone? its on your iPad of MacBook. want to steam something? do it via airplay. Want to send a file to another device? Airdrop. Calls? Have them sent everywhere you are, same with messages.

Its easy to see why people like apple when it all works really really well together.

Google look to be trying to replicate that and I can see why. They are trying to more closely integrate Android with ChromeOS. Some of the recently devices have their “better together” integration. it works, but its a ways off Apple I think for a while yet. The same I think can be said with Microsoft, they have some similar functionality, but its not simple.

On the obvious hardware question. I don’t miss a headphone jack… What can I say, My bluetooth headphones work really well, my phone pairs with my car adaptor (its an old car), ive never thought I need a wire to attach to this.

This is also the first phone I have that uses wireless charging, so I thought why not try it. Its also good. No need for wires :smiley:

Im not using my phone for high end 1mbps lossless audio so I don’t need a headphone jack for it.

Just a last thing to mention as well. eSIM functionality. This I need to test out, it was just enabled with an update, so something i’m going to turn on so I can use two sims. I do find it interesting that Apple seem to be able to get some of these types of tech in before others.

Overall i’m impressed, and probably going to stay with Apple for a while.

Ask away for anything you want that i’ve missed and i’ll let you know what I think.

4 Likes

For spam call detection I use Hiya. Note you need to give them access to your contacts so they can whitelist them. I find it to be roughly 80% effective, some spam still gets through but it catches most of it. The paid ones like Nomorobo are reportedly much better, but for $3/month I say screw that.

My take on the matter is that Android is a better OS if you ignore fragmentation, privacy, and lack of updates on non-Pixels, but iOS has just dramatically better apps.

2 Likes

On the OS side is probably agree, Android supports more stuff and if you want to use any of those features android will do it. Apple supports less ‘stuff’ but does what it doesn’t very well.

For my phone and be not needed that extra stuff and realised I never used it on android much anyway, so it ends up not making a difference. But if you want to put android on a rpi for example, you can.

There’s definitely slightly different goals in how they both make their OS.

For me, it’s that Android is infinitely customizable. The iOS homescreen, just rows of apps, is positively archaic. I want to change that. I want to remove the little bar at the bottom of every screen, I realize I can swipe up to go home, thank you very much. I want to sideload apps too. You can’t do any of that on iOS.

And yes, I’m aware of sideloading with dev accounts, and getting apps signed via shady third-party websites, I’m not doing any of that stuff. If a current jailbreak was available I’d use it, but I’m not staying on old versions either.

Is the home button still the only button? That was probably my biggest hiccup when messing with an iphone.

I’m guessing the apple devices don’t have any issues reading MMS or vcards sent from androids?
The android messenger doesn’t recognize something with apples contact format. Have had to use a 3rd party messenger to read them.

You should just delete the rest of the review and leave only this.

2 Likes

Home button is gone. Buttons are power, volume up/down, and the silence switch.

MMS and such works fine.

Oh I agree, a point I made in my initial post. Like android, both have their pros and cons. the home screen is a con. I expect they will end up doing something sometime, but I also expect that’s a way off.

As mentioned by @Ruffalo the physical home button is gone and replaced by a gesture type interface, the “home” button is now represented by a small white bar visible when needed.

the gestures have on that front have worked well for me, I think they’re pretty good.

This is one of my largest issues with Iphones. I genuinely can’t function well on a phone without buttons. they don’t necessarily have to be physical buttons but I need at least a Home and a Back button (the running app tray is also a nice one). The button layout is why I can navigate apps one handed better on my Note 9 than I can on my GF’s Iphone 8. The home screen as already pointed out in this thread is another big plus for android. That in conjunction with being able to install APK files is a big reason that I stick with android, however I know the majority of people don’t have a need for that or some other added capabilities in android.

I’m not sure I get the difference though. There is a home and back button. Home is up, back is a swipe right, somewhat similar to newer versions of android. I assume it’s just personal preference issue than anything else? but in that case there’s plenty of other phones.

Untrusted apks can be a plus depending on what you need. It was one of those things that I just stopped needing, not to mention I’d moved to increasing security on Android, so untrusted apks went out the window for me.

I expect android users here will have a higher percentage of people rooting or using apks, but for the majority of prople, even tech people, no one does it. It used to be you needed to root android, these days not so much. The only reason you might now is for a 3rd party rom when you phone stopped being supported which is a failing on google and android really.

Hi Eden,

I too am considering a switch-a-roo. You mentioned devices working well together. Have you tried elements of the ecosystem? What have you tried (sorry if I missed it)?

-c0d1st

1 Like

I’ve tried it with a MacBook and Apple TV. What do you want to know?

They have played well together, for example a useful one I’ve seen is universal copy paste (part of “handoff”), what you copy on one device is available on the other device, little things like controlling the Apple TV with your phone integrates quite nicely and I’ve used airplay a bit with it as well, similar to chrome cast essentially.

Your phone can be used as a virtual keyboard for example on the Apple TV.

handoff is quite interesting, allows you to continue an app (like a browser tab) on another device from one you were just on. not played to much with it yet though.

facetime/imessage also work quite well, ive not used them that much really, but you can set it up to allow you to do calls though your other devices, or messages through them all if you use imessage/sms. you can take a phone call from your phone on your laptop or iPad (presumably) for example.

Oh a couple of small niceties, the haptic feedback is nothing short of amazing, at least compared to the pixel.

The force touch is also a very interesting feature and something I’ve been using quite a bit.

I also quite like the cursor option on the keyboard that allows me to move the cursor around. It’s much better than android implementations. No swipe keyboard though (not by default) so if you like that you’d need to use gboard or similar, and obviously give your typing data to google.

I am focusing on a PhD and my job for the next 3-4 years…I need simple. It just needs to work…period. I want devices and systems the get out of my way and let me do my thing.

I will be working on data science: data wrangling, data modeling, research and writing. I have an AMD Threadripper Linux workstation with GPUs for research purposes - that is my only allowance for complexity in my home setup while in school.

iPad
I also do a lot of diagramming / sketching for work and school - IT architecture, ERD’s, cross functional process flows and other diagrams. Most of my cube thinks in pictures. I smell an iPad in my future.

AppleTV
Lets be honest, I will take exercise and media breaks to keep my sanity. I planned on Apple TV. I tried it out in Best Buy…the remote worked fairly well but the glass “mouse” portion seemed pretty wild, but if I can control some functionality from my phone - bonus!

Handing media off from my laptop or phone to TV would be GREAT!

I do have an significant investment in SONOS. I will need to get a beam or PlayOne to integrate AirPlay into the mix.

Phone
I am willing to give up my headphone jack, extra storage and customization. After reviewing what my Android phone has to offer, I am not using much of it for my day-to-day. I routinely have to email or cloud storage things back-and-forth between devices (I think I’m work flowing incorrectly). It can be a cumbersome process.

Laptop
I’m willing to give a Mac a try. Most of my workflow I can do on it. The rest will have to be on my Linux workstation, or in the cloud.

Watch
I currently have an Android watch. I like the experience, and I would want to carry it over to Apple.

I have also talked with a few of the Apple users at work (collecting data). They all seem really happy with Apple in general. Though, I would say most of their workflows are not like my own.

I’m am reviewing the other side: Louis Rossman and others. Along with reviews of people who are switching from Apple to Android, and the other way around.

Does some of this sound reasonable? You mentioned a blue tooth audio device? Is it working well for you? I am interested in hearing about your experience going forward.

Let me get my own opinion on Apple devices.

So, time to pull out a @Zoltan.

During the first few years of its consumerism and in the Steve Jobs era, it was virtually a paperweight. There were less potential features than a rock, performance was a let down after their 1st year of release, and everyone argued that they’d rather have an iPhone over it; all which I agreed upon. The iPad 2 was OK, having the rear camera at least, but still meh. Later in the Tim Cook era, the device started to mature a bit, right up to recently when Apple finally differentiated the iPad line-up from the iPhone and many other products, like exclusive features in the iPad version of iOS, the inclusion of a stylus in a form of an Apple (Digitised) Pencil, the Smart Keyboard and what I think it’s the best feature to have on every mobile devices which Asus and Razer is doing right now with their phones; 120Hz panels. I would want to see that in many more mobile devices, just as long as the PPI looks attractive for the warrant to include 120Hz motion. This was the change that saw the potential to truly compete against many other tablets like the Google Pixel, Microsoft Surface and Samsung’s various tablet range; especially their iterations of the Android tablet in a premium market. The thing that set me a positive feeling towards the iPad’s future is that Apple may have successfully rivaled against every Android tablets, in terms of hardware, software and the true ecosystem they’ve managed to maintain. And the long-term support, such that they ended up making older iPads a bloat to run on.

Google on the other hand has killed off any plans to make another Nexus tablet; which is a shame, because I do have the Nexus 7 2nd gen (2013), I was hyped on the potential they and Asus (being the hardware maker) had, right up until the abrupt discontinuation, and not only just the product but as well as support, so mine is nothing but a device with little hopes and a few remaining lives hanging on a thread. My point in saying this is that Google has created another redundant ecosystem with the Pixel tablet line up that runs Chrome OS. There was a rumour that they promised to allow Android apps to run on this platform but I have not heard of that as of yet.

Which leaves me to this, If I want a tablet that is able to do pretty much all of the basic tasks - even to doodle some shit on (not the other definition), the iPad Pro of a not-so-ridiculous size can serve me as a good runner. I was glad that Apple did released a smaller sized iPad Pro, since the 12 or 13" one is insane for my needs. On a side note, Adobe has recently announced they’re releasing a fully-fledged desktop-version of Photoshop CC for that platform. This is a perfect addition, given for the iPad it is proven that the latency between the virtual ink of the Pencil and the display’s digitiser are almost second to none. Could well be thanks to the 120Hz display that made that possible. Video of that can be seen here demonstrated, timestamped:

(Although this is on an older iPad Pro. I have yet to find out if Apple kept the near-zero latency feature between the Pencil and the digitiser)

And with online cloud services, working with an iPad Pro at any place is becoming so convenient. If I were to be a true power user, my hopes is to go for an x86 tablet, like the Surface Pro or the Surface Book; the latter that is my favourite.

One of my relatives ended up getting an Apple TV of an older generation; of that I couldn’t remember which it is, after trying to look through which TV multimedia device will suit them. With so many range of apps compared to our Samsung Smart TV that its variety was hopelessly low and somewhat outdated, it could serve as an alternative option as a replacement smart TV platform when you are sick and tired of the one that comes with your TV.

The issues that I have with it is the usability. At best, if you have like an Apple or Android mobile device, I think using iOS’ Apple TV app is the best way to go, since the app integrates with tvOS much nicer. I hadn’t tested it using wireless peripherals since I didn’t have it handy when setting one up at that time but if it does work as well, this would all in all give the included controller a middle finger or two. Like you said, I agree it’s “cursor” functionality was very wild and uneasy to control. And typing with it is cumbersome and it’s something I would never want to do with the controller that has no built-in keyboard at least of any type; digital or physical, with this consideration: If you were to type a password, you would never want to do so on TV, absolutely no security.

So the Apple TV is a good investment if you have an Apple Ecosystem to use, or just want a TV multimedia device to further expand your desire. If you’re looking too serious into the home theatre craze, best solution is to get an HTPC, but that’s another category.

IMO, I’d just go for an HTPC, since you could do more from it, even is it’s just a Pi.

I currently have an iPhone 6s Plus with 128GB storage, was the flagship to none at its time, and I still use it today. When its successor was released, I had an impression that Apple has a “courage” to displease many of its users with the removal of the ubiquitous 3.5mm stereo/headphone jack. But after I got several of the Bluetooth-enabled audio devices over the years, I came to the conclusion that the current Bluetooth technology now has the capability and power to provide decent audio quality for an everyday user within a certain range, but they do not have to complicate themselves with the troubles of a wired audio jack, including static noises that occur if the physical input quality is in poor condition and the dangers of snapping the jack clean off the cable. Though with wireless charging now a thing since the iPhone X, anyone can just use the dongle while charging the phone at the same time for that over-engineered representation of C O U R A G E, right? /s

Storage expansion is something that was never a feature or a motto in all of the Apple mobile devices. But for an Average Joe user, this hasn’t been a concern for them, now that we got a toilet-roll list of online cloud storage platforms, unless you’re a tinfoil hat nutcase. Like the iPad Pro, you could have an ability to work at any place with an iPhone with cloud services, increasing the flexibility and productivity, while having the extra storage space at the same time. The ethical and legal issues surrounding cloud storage could be the barrier for having expanded storage, and if that’s a concern for those users, there are 3rd party manufacturers that have designed an OTG expandable storage dongle for memory cards or USB devices. Still, I would rather have an integrated memory card reader, but that’s coming from a person who’s a storage nutcase.

Lastly, as every L1T users would point out, the inability to unlock Godmode on an iPhone; not without jailbreaking, which is against Apple’s ToS, but your only way to get into at least an overview of Godmode. Android hand-down for that kind of task. Android has been the platform where enthusiasts would flock to, and there is a large userbase for its customisation. While I did some of it to my Galaxy S2, which I sold it since, it was almost too unusable for me, because there are some features that are broken, which requires more prodding and encouragement to get CyanogenMod to work properly on it. It was at that point, along with the busted USB port on my Nexus 7, I didn’t looked back to Android customisation ever since then. For something that Just Werks­™ for me, that was then I looked into the iPhone and I then finally fell for that meme.

Other than those nitpicks, the fit and finish on recent iPhones are stunning. Even though I am not a fan of a glass back finish due to its fragility, I think it brings out, again, the fit and finish more. Display is top notch (meh, pun intended), among with some of the flagship phones from other manufacturers, even my 6s Plus’ screen looked nicer than anything, though that stupid thingy majooblob at the top of recent iPhones should’ve never been a thing, as they got no place in mobile devices, IMO, and this led the inspiration of some other smartphones, like the Google Pixel 3 and the Oneplus 6/6T, to include that awkwardly juvenile feature. The camera is no exception; takes a perfect shot in many scenario. Everyday users could just resort to use the iPhone’s camera as their replacement pocket camera, as the features are intuitive enough for average users, especially the illusion of optical zoom by having 2 lenses.

In terms of the ecosystem, the iPhone tends to be the best compared to most of the Android phones, where one manufacturer likes to have their own junkware added to their phones, making the sense of an Android ecosystem diversified, as well as the problem of the interaction barrier; where there are so many unwanted features that can further complicate the navigation. And we could all never forget about most of the Android phones’ OS updates, being unnecessarily late to today’s standards. I think it should be the duty of a smartphone manufacturer to roll out the updates, as soon as Google makes them available, they need their version of Android to have some tweaks done to it. Any Android enthusiast or tech person can just workaround those problems of course, but when it comes to a technically non-minded person, this can be an inconvenience to them when smartphone manufacturers want to go their own way. When it comes to Apple, they like to have the passion to make their phone more simple and intuitive to navigate, but from my experience that comes with a couple of gimmicks. The app switcher via by pressing and swiping from the left of the screen at the same time was a real annoyance. Although I like the feature where you swipe form the left of the screen to go back to a menu from an app, the inclusion of one of the many ways to switch to another app, in this case, being the last app you used, sometimes puts me off. In the later iPhones, since the home button is now dead, you would have to swipe up in order to exit from an app, which IMO, feels odd and out of character; but you have to know that in order to truly quit an app on iOS you have to bring up the app switcher menu and swipe up an app you don’t want to run in a background, which in that sense, sounds about right. One thing that set Apple’s ecosystem off - and this applies to the earlier iPads - is when they made a switch over to Lightning, from the 30 pin connector. This criticism however did settled as those devices with the old proprietary connector are no longer supported, and many of the Average Joe users would’t be using those iDevices anyone, although there are some that still do.

Security; don’t get me started on this. as the same as the iPad, Apple wants to and has taken security to the next serious business level. 2 iPhones I’ve worked on in the past (and present) saw the device iCloud locked, which in layman’s term, to say the least, means you’re pretty much fucked. There’s no mediocre way to get around this, without resorting to “pay” for shady services that claims to iCloud unlock your iOS device.

So would I buy another iPhone if my current one becomes too flabbergastedly unusable? Well if Apple doesn’t make a wrong turn with their phone and, even though I’m a technically-minded person, if my requirements is of the same level as a simpleton, I might as well do so. But there are some Android phones that aren’t too bad. It’s just that my personal question is: Is there an Android phone that I think is the best?

I had an Hackintosh once that was my secondary machine that I actually used everyday. Everything I loved about macOS is the increasing user base of the platform. Being based from ground-up, on BSD, I would choose it over Windows any day. There are so many software and applications that is macOS complatible over the years since the days of Leopard and Snow Leopard, I would have that OS on top of my list. But this can be a subjective opinion for many users. Like you said, there are some workflow path that can’t be accomplished on macOS, so you would have to use Linux for that. It’s the same case for me, but with Windows. Linux, I can give it a run, and sometimes that is the platform I would have to resort to, should neither the other two cannot do what Linux can.

As far as the hardware goes. It seems in the later Tim Cook era of Apple, they have come to the sense that there are many other Mac users who would want a machine that isn’t a bloody MacBook Pro, as they have repeated over times. But unfortunately, sometimes that comes at a cost, with hardware that isn’t as easy to repair. For example; the 12" MacBook and the latest MBP’s; you wouldn’t think Apple can be that absurd that they could make their devices nearly 100% irreparable?

How about solder the storage to the motherboard? That’s that job done. And add a few more dongles or a 100 of them, causing the internet electricians to go totally assmad at your dangerous talent. And you got yourself, a DarwinBook Pro. Though colloquially, this will make the current MBP the most secure Mac you ever have, should the logic board cooks itself to death.

On a positively serious note though, later MBP has the performance of about anything you could throw at, with mobile-platform-optimised components, especially chucking a mobile Core i9, the capacity of DDR4 memory that makes all of my devices a total joke and a Vega. All in a shell of proprietary aluminium which makes the MBP feel more of a premium device, like a few other laptops out there right now. This however made cooling almost impossible to achieve with such a limited amount of room, should Apple continue the trend of making their products “dangerously thin”. The haptic Trackpad may feel like a gimmick, but you could just adjust it within the settings, so it isn’t a bad addition. Though personally, those so-called butterfly-wing keyboard have almost no travel distance at all it’s like you’re typing in a sci-fi TV show or film, but again, not a bad addition, with a little controversy relating to the damage prone keys in the 1st MBP’s with this keyboard.

So would I get it, if I want to replace my current laptop? For basic uses, yeah, otherwise, with the trend of dongles being the norm, no. In fact, I just recently acquired a Unibody MacBook from 2010 that a good friend of mine gave to me. Even though it’s only got a 720p or less screen, a C2D and an Nvidia Geforce 320M, it’s still got some potential, with its max OS support being 10.13 High Sierra, which is still supported till 2020. And my Mac; while it has only 2GB of DDR3 1066 ram in it, it can be upgraded up to a whopping 16GB DDR3 1066.

At this rate, I could go on and say; This is the MacBook (Pro) of the Steve Jobs era. But from my theory, which one would say other may have, he might’ve had the desire to further complicate the repairability of the MacBooks in the future; which was the case during Tim’s era.

As for the desktop, the iMac Pro came in as a surprise. Who would ever thought of trying to fit a Mac Pro into a body of an iMac? Apple did, and while it seemed impressive, the repairbility will put off the certain users. Otherwise it is a useful AIO for people who wants more space in their workspace, and elsewhere in an educational place.

But for power users, the Mac Pro would be their favourite. The latest Mac Pro looked weird, but beefy and customisable, which is totally what a Mac Pro should be. The problem is that the machine’s graphics card has a proprietary connector, which meant you are limited to what Apple offers and what others can’t. The tower Mac Pro would still be the favourites for any Mac Pro power users, due its variability for customisation.

Video related. Warning: cringe-worthy:

However, my point still stands with Hackintosh, if you want the ultimate experience with macOS, or want to get the taste of a Mac, or whatever.

Call me the 90s or 2000s kid, but I’m not interested in that category at all. Everything about it is just nonsense. Although smart watches can be useful, should you be involved in a physical activity a lot, especially the Apple Watch’s built-in pedometer.

Cause Mr Wolf (or @wolfleben) can tell me the time, and when there’s something important to tell :stuck_out_tongue:

But TBH, the reason why I have no interest in smartwatches is because I never owned one, nor tried it on in a real life scenario, not in retail-mode, lmao.

4 Likes

I’ve tried them before, and seen but not owned an Apple Watch. Android smart watches though for the most part aren’t great, at least not last gens. As far as I can tell the smart watch is something apple also dominates in terms of just being better.

I think you really need a use case for a smart watch, I like the idea of some of the health features, but at the same time, I think instant notification of anything isn’t such a good idea, and that’s one thing a smart watch provides.

for me a normal watch does the job.

Holy wall of text.
And you even included a barnacules video.

2/10.

I just wish Ipads had mouse support.

1 Like

I was considering about this. If Apple did, they can then just about to say, “What is a computer?”, again, and this time, with some agreements at least. Otherwise, I’d say, “A MacBook Pro that can cook your Ramen”.

Thanks all! I really appreciate the information. It’s helping to work out my next steps.

Eden, sorry if I ended hijacking part of your thread (not intended, but appreciated).

Watch
My watch use cases are many. I don’t have feeling in the upper part of my legs. So the watch helps with that. Also, I am sometimes out in a manufacturing plant setting, so I cannot have my phone out. In meetings with managers in directors, I’d can monitor projects from my watch instead of whipping out my phone; though, in hind-sight, some people might think I’m bored and I’m checking time. Quickly monitoring phone calls is nice too.

Mac Pro
If I didn’t have my massive Linux workstation, maybe. Depending on what Apple decides to do with the Mac Pro…maybe in the future…maybe.

iMac
I have a 6 monitor setup…ehhh…nah.

MBP
Dongle-Book-Pro doesn’t bother me. I already have that situation with my Windows laptop from work. I am looking forward to hopefully having a BYOD policy at work, but likely not. I looked around the internet and found MrThaiBox123’s MBP setup…interesting.

Mac Mini
I was happy to see the refresh to this thing. Not that I 'm going to buy one, but I have a couple of friends that off load work to them from their MBP.

The interesting thing is I like having a dock for my laptops. Plugging in one cable to my dock works. But that’s less useful if your more mobile and using a lot of kit. In saying the though, even then I use a rpi for stuff like that and connect remotely anyway.