My problem with 1st person perspective in games

1 Like

IMO thatā€™s the main problem with most AAA today. That you can easily compare them to something older, to the point that if you played one, you played them all.
Mainstream entered the chatā€¦ :wink:

1 Like

You jagged my longing for W3, so just checked my GOG account, with a thought, that if maybe I install it, then its maybe possibly possible I will play it soon.

Butā€¦ there is no Linux version :frowning:

GOG says I bought it over 2 years ago, now I remember why I was putting it off for future :wink:

Not really, since I am more of a strategy games person anyways. The last FPS game I tried was Hard Reset and I aged it for about 2 hours and got bored.
But itā€™s a thing I havenā€™t really noticed before. Now Iā€™m curious is that true for all FPS gamesā€¦

Turn the lights out and use a 43ā€™ full 4k display. Good headphones and game .

itā€™s fun . I know I canā€™t die but outside VR being more than a circus thing :). Big screen Displays / TVā€™s are best with headphones.

Software should focus on that and not be moron developers.

I dont now how anyone can live in a 1440p wide screen display. Do they never look up or down ?. Doom taunt me 3d.

Yeahā€¦ How can anyoneā€¦ Especially those 70% of the market that are still 1080p and lowerā€¦

2 Likes

Hey, I am at 1080p 16:9. I feel personally attacked.

Iā€™ve tested both and I very much prefer 32:9 1440p (5120x1440) over 16:9 2160p.
Granted, 32:9 2160 would be more awesome but since we donā€™t really have 8k GPUs this will take a whileā€¦

I run 1080p on a 43ā€™ TV. Im 66.24%

1 Like

you know, Iā€™m not sure thatā€™s so much of a thing. Weā€™ve had the basics for dealing with that for at least two decades now, and with how much rendering has advanced, I find it very hard to believe we canā€™t blend animations well enough to handle different heights.
Windwaker on the GameCube could handle adjusting the end of a characterā€™s limbs based on variable target placement very smoothly. We can apply that to hands as well as feet. The only consideration is that you might need two or three height groupings for a handful of animations if you have a lot of variation, and since the situations where height is relevant to animation are very specific and straightforward, itā€™s not that hard to figure out where you need to draw the line, or where the limits are.
Considering that, in early 3D games, character height was more diverse and required unique animations for every height, itā€™s a very weird regression.

What? When? In what 20 years old game you had different height models moving tiny detailed objects from point A to point B? Things on a shelf 20 years ago had no animations.

Look, I have no idea, I am saying the first thing that comes to mind.

Could be laziness, could be just defaulting. The camera IIRC in Unity is automatically set to either 1,6 or 1,7 units, while the model is 2 units, so that literally posts the camera in your mouth or under your chin. Maybe they paid more attention to Nvidiaā€™s Ray Tracing and garbage technology than actually dealing with basic stuff like that.

1 Like

Iā€™m not worried that in 1st person games, having to direct the point of view at the point you want to view.
Iā€™m a couple inches shorter than average, so height isnā€™t a game changer/immersion breaker, as it just looks normal for me.

3rd person games are a horrific experience, however, as it feels as if the view is coming out of my ear, which feels really odd.

To each their own?

20 years ago, you had limbs that could bend realistically for variable distance objects, used very often on legs to make them line up properly with steps. It was also sometimes used for hands and works just fine.

Before that, you had different characters of wildly different heights that just had completely different animation sets because developers put the time in to do that. Final Fantasy, Mario 64, whatever it was, each character had their own animations for it. I think having a handful of height groups for every character is easier than doing completely unique animations for each character in a game.

That is true, and given time and money they probably could do that. But now days itā€™s easier to make larger sandbox than making whatā€™s in it interesting.
I am not saying itā€™s impossible. Iā€™m saying it requires more effort, that Devs arenā€™t willing to put in.
Remember AC Unity? They complained about having to redo some climbing and movement animations to add a female player character.

IDKā€¦ Iā€™m just guessingā€¦

Would be interesting how Star Citizen is handling that.

Maybe there is some absurd reason this has become the standard. But thanks for pointing that out. I assume 1.8 units should be about right then.

Yeah, I get that. For me itā€™s opposite because I 3rd person does not try to be right, while 1st person fails. I think the right term here would be uncanny valley. At least for me.

1 Like

I wouldnā€™t blame devs. Itā€™s normally upper management wanting to cut costs and ā€œstreamline developmentā€.
Devs usually want to just put everything into the game and spend all the time playing around with random nifty crap like that, but then the game would never get finished lol

3 Likes

Oh yes. The guy who makes textures and stuff have deadlines to meet. He does what he can given the time and resources.

1 Like

Every game has had fps height adjustment problems, and its not related to SJWā€¦ remember skyrim? well your eyes are in character chest.

Its just a common camera lazy coding issue by dev to get around height problems. Expect to see mods that fix this problem just like they did in skyrim.

Iā€™m not against 3rd person if its done right and is optional, in cyberpunks case, the only situation where 3rd person makes sense is driving and melee perhaps, it would be quite annoying with fps aiming with guns, youā€™d end up with auto aim system being enabled to get quick head-shots etcā€¦ which I hate.

1 Like

Seems like Iā€™m not the only one with this issue. Here is a mod that attempts to solve it: