My PC won't shut down. Please help!

A little backstory first.

I’ve been running Manjaro gnome for about a year and everything’s been working great.

Last week I got some new hardware to upgrade my machine and ever since it won’t shut down.

For reference I used to be on the z97 platform previously and now I’m on AM4. More specifically I have a crosshair six hero and the 1700x

Behavior is as follows:
I will initiate shutdown from the GUI or the terminal and it will proceed to shut down normally. When it gets to the point where the LEDs turn off and the fan stops spinning there will be a momentary pause and the system will turn on again normally.

I’ve tried these fixes:

Updating the BIOS
Disabling Wake on LAN and fast boot in the BIOS
Reinstalling the OS
Trying an alternate OS (Ubuntu)

I’ve also tried Windows. It works fine, it shuts down as it should. I’m at my wit’s end, I assumed it was a hardware problem until I installed and tried Windows. Now I have no idea what I’m looking for.

There should be another option in the BIOS for the machine to turn on in case of power loss. Unlikely if it works fine with windows but … ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Also unlikely but maybe try a distro with a different DE? So far both have been Gnome, right?

Other than that, maybe you can give some more information about the hardware and also what kernel was in use.

The option in the bios for power loss is defaulted to stay off in a bit of a power failure. So I opted to leave it as it is.

I actually haven’t tried another DE. It didn’t cross my mind.

My full system specs are:
The CPU is a 1700x
The motherboard is asus crosshair six hero
16 GB of DDR4 3200
GTX 1080
My boot drive is a Samsung 850 Evo
I also have three internal hard drives and one external hard drive plugged in along with my peripherals

Unplug everything other than mouse, keyboard and monitor and try again?

I’ve tried both using a different DE and unplugging all but the essentials

No change

How about in a console, using

sudo shutdown -P now

1 Like

Same result

Sounds like a hardware fault to me then.
Tried a different power supply? Make sure all cables fully seated, maybe remove and re attach the 24 pin monstrosity ( my least favourite socket/cable)

If it’s a hardware fault? Why would windows be unaffected?

I’ll try reseating everything,and see what happens

I only have the one power supply, it’s not too old and is high quality.

I had a similar problem with 19.10. I don’t know what I did, but it’s not a problem anymore. Do you know when abouts this started to happen? Was it after an update maybe?

I don’t know, COULD an update cause this? I kinda think not, but I’m still a linux noob. Even 2 or 3 years running.

Well… You said you got some new hardware. If you still have the original hardware, could you please restore your setup to to how it was before you got the new hardware and try again? If it succeeds yet again, then you might just need to wait for updates.

Since it’s a desktop and with newer hardware, the updates shouldn’t take too long, but, for example, it took version 5.3.x of the kernel for IOMMU to finally start working on my 2016 laptop (https://bbs.archlinux.org/viewtopic.php?id=224265 ; I personally used iommu=soft) and it took kernel 4.16.x to get the Realtek RTL8723BE WiFi to work properly.

Good luck!

I did revert back to the old setup, and it worked.

X370 is 2 years old at this point, errors like this should be resolved.

I think I’ll contact Asus, they may have some insight

Wel, that’s good.

It took three years for IOMMU to work properly on my HP AMD laptop with hybrid graphics, so…

Good luck with that!

Um… Can someone fill me in?

I have never seen an issue like that on any AM4 machine before. I believe you have a hardware problem or faulty USB device. I would strip the PC down to just the ssd, gpu, monitor, and keyboard plugged in. Verify PSU connections are tight. Update to AGESA 1004 patch B. Set BIOS to defaults. Disable any usb/lan/pcie wakeup settings in the bios. Boot up PC. Unplug completely the power LED, power switch, reset switch, hdd activity switch. Issue shutdown command from terminal, and unplug the keyboard before it finishes shutting down. There should now be no usb device that can accidentally turn your pc back on. If you continue to have issues try a different PSU/gpu. Then once it works slowly add devices back till you figure out the problem. You could have a weird short somewhere or some crazy driver bug with a specific device.

My problem is solved.

As it turns out, it was a fault on the motherboard itself. I got a new RMA from Asus and I’m good to go again

4 Likes

Thanks for letting us know!

glad you posted a solution!