My new AMD Ryzen 5 computer build won't install Linux Mint 19.1

My new AMD Ryzen 5 computer build won’t install Linux Mint 19.1.

I downloaded ISO file, Checked Mdsum, put Iso on thumbdrive with UnetBootin.

I updated Bios on MSI motherboard to the latest version 12, turned XMP profile and gaming profile on so that my ram is clocked at 2933mgh and cpu is at 3.9Ghz.

Put drive in usb port and booted to it. Saw the Linux Mint menus and clicked on it but all I get is a black screen. Motherboard sees it as two usb drives. One as a UEFI and the other as Legacy Usb. I tried booting from both versions . Both give me the choice to boot Linux Mint but both give me black screen.

AHCI mode choices are AHCI or RAID so it is set to AHCI (There is no “NOTIDE” mode)

Windows 10 WHQL support is Disabled

XHCI Handoff is Enabled

Legacy USB Support is enabled along with UEFI

I put Windows 10 on thumbdrive and that will boot up and try to install windows succesfully, but I cancel it.

Here is my Hardware:

Motherboard….MSI B450M Mortar with profiles and bios mentioned above

CPU……………AMD Ryzen 5 2400g 3.6 Ghz set to 3.85Ghz

Memory………Corsair Vengeance LPX 16GB (2X8) DDr4 3200 clocked to 2933

Storage……….Samsung Evo 250gb M.2 2280

Power…………Corsair CXM 450Watt 80+ certified

Case………….Silverstone GDO4 Usb3 HTPC

This is my first AMD build all the rest are Intel. Thought Amd worked out the past problems with Linux so I thought I was safe.

I looked around the bios to see if I was missing anything.

Anyone have any Ideas?

I will try installing another Linux Distro to see what happens but Linux Mint is the one I use for all my other machines.

Turn off secure boot ?

I have yet to try the new Mint… You might leave feedback ?

You probably need to put nomodeset in the kernel command line in grub. The following tutorial should get you going: https://community.linuxmint.com/tutorial/view/842

I just had to do this earlier this week to install ubuntu 18.04 on a new AMD 2400G system. After updating uefi the installer would boot to black screen.

Try burning the ISO to the USB with Rufus, not Unetbootin. A search will find it.

Reset the BIOS to the default state and turn off XMP and other overclocking tweaks. Play with them after Mint is successfully installed.