My laptop REBORN / chose my next build's os an config

To start hers so context for the past 4 years

win7 my decade long OS an 7 was OK an i used it the longest but

the longer it went the more the updates seemed to kill it an i probably would’ve go to Linux earlier but i didn’t even know it was a thing till a cousin visited with a laptop with a linux os which honestly didnt sell me on the alt till

i caught a tekzilla epi an the spoke of Linux an the diffs an benefits an after a deep dive into youtube video like level1 an others i pull the trigger an went from the one from the tekzilla epi UBUNTU an i was overwhelmed

so back to win7 it was but i keep up trying to learn so when pop came around an how user-friendly it was that sold me on another go at the linux world so much so that the first new pc in 10 years i got was to build from scratch rather then buy

so i went all in an built two 1.5k each ryzen pc’s each with a 2600x ,16gb ram ,6gb 1660 gpu an a 500gb 2.5in ssd
it was a night an day diff coming on win7 an amd fx 8350/gtx760 4gb /1600mhz 8gb ram /250gb hdd
fyi the two ryzen builds that iv been using since then have been running pop-os with a few system upgrades

& one fresh install at the 22.04lts release i did upgrade an i did upgrade both the cpu’s to 3600x & gpus to
AMD Radeon RX 590 the amd gpu’s did better with the linux then the nvidia for rendering an gaming then the gtx ever did
so for all those reasons an others that why im all AMD & LINUX from here out

this is my current app load out is this

DaVinci Resolve Studio - Linux.zip

flatpaks

Krita

Blender

Inkscape

Android Studio

digiKam

OBS Studio

Audacity

but as of now Pop-os is in a bad spot atm. Even Debian is far ahead as far as kernel and packages go

both my towers are borked with certain an functions an while neither are totally f’ed my laptop

Lenovo Flex 5 Laptop, 14.0" FHD Touch Display, AMD Ryzen 5 5500U, 16GB RAM

with a SK Hynix Gold P31 500 GB ssd that ive had since May 27, 2022 has been slugish as hell

chewing ram when doing nothing an while the ram chewing wasn’t the case at the start that started

4 months ago but in general the os never really did well but i stuck with it because it wasn’t windows

so back into the forest of linux os’s for an alt to pop-so which i haven’t done since 2020

fyi im very noobish with my linux knowledge & experience is mild only improving both

when i hit an issue or need to do i modification , my dad has only been has been using since

we ditched windows but he’s not been trying to learn or do any modifications so its all on me.

most of my 4 years of experience has been main on pop-os

my sister has been on linux about 8 years im not sure were her experience level is

as she been running fedora the whole time on a amd based laptop and after a few long vacations

an holidays with relatives i got decently familiar with fedora but that was a few years ago

so i considered for when i would do my next builds i might got with it or upgrades but when i tried it on my

flex 5 , so when i tried fedora 38 that did go as planned it was just foreign to me the diff in

doing sudo dnf vs sudo apt an the diff package managers an updating an doing a custom kernel

was just to diff to my knowledge & experience , so i went back to my first foray into the linux world with

UBUNTU an wow a world of diff its been not only to how close to my knowledge & experience with pop it is but

also the performance equal to if not better then pop was in the beginning an with the smoother option to run

an atl de then the native without breaking the os has been great , i went thro a few different spins of UBUNTU

to find what felt an did right for me i went with this setup an config

UBUNTU 23.10/GNOME 45/WAYLAND/KERNEL Linux 6.5.0-10-lowlatency

with zram enabled & custom module an compression

before zram was enabled ,after boot idle 6.128gb

with no apps or background apps (gnome software center/updater) right about the same as pop was in the beginning by the end pop was chewing 8.2gb even with zram update an enabled

with UbuntuStudio 23.20 before gnome 45&zram mod was 6.75gb

after install of gnome 45 with zram post-boot ram use is now 4.5gb with librewolf with 21tabs open,an audacious player

without those apps 4.1gb

before without gnome 45 zram , post-boot ram use with librewolf with 21tabs open,an audacious player

was 8gb

both pre an post gnome45 & zram use librewolf was run with custom memory/cache profile for efficiency

my next two builds are yet to be assembled currently both builds are waiting on

custom psu cables to arrive from cablemobs the parts iv got going into each are for titan 1 & 2

• UBUNTU Studio 23.10/GNOME 45/WAYLAND/LINUX KERNEL 6.x.x-xx-lowlatency
  • UBUNTU Studio 23.10/GNOME 45/WAYLAND/LINUX KERNEL 6.x.x-xx-xanmod
  • Ubuntu 22.04.03lts full install/GNOME 45/WAYLAND/LINUX KERNEL 6.x.x-Xanmod
  • Ubuntu 22.04.03lts full install/GNOME 45/WAYLAND/LINUX KERNEL 6.x.x-lowlatency
  • Ubuntu 22.04.03lts minimal install/GNOME 45/WAYLAND/LINUX KERNEL 6.x.x-Xanmod
  • Ubuntu 22.04.03lts minimal install/GNOME 45/WAYLAND/LINUX KERNEL 6.x.x-lowlatency
  • Ubuntu Budgie 23.10 full install/GNOME 45/WAYLAND/LINUX KERNEL 6.x.x-xx-lowlatency
  • Ubuntu Budgie 23.10 full install/GNOME 45/WAYLAND/LINUX KERNEL 6.x.x-xx-Xanmod
  • Ubuntu Budgie 23.10 minimal install/GNOME 45/WAYLAND/LINUX KERNEL 6.x.x-Xanmod
  • Ubuntu Budgie 23.10 minimal install/GNOME 45/WAYLAND/LINUX KERNEL 6.x.x-xx-lowlatency

0 voters

Just a question… Why not order a laptop with Linux preinstalled? That would make sure all hardware issues are taken care of (mostly).

If you live in EU, my recommendation is Tuxedo, and in the US, System76:

Other than that, go with whatever you can live with that has a lowlatency kernel. Since your laptop has modest hardware and you are a power user, a minimal setup is probably the way to go here, and I recommend a lowlatency kernel for the best sound setup, especially given the under-the-hood upgrades in the latest distros :slight_smile:

Why not order a laptop with Linux preinstalled?

well
for me bugdet an cost of hardware an staying under amd hardware

the most cash iv ever got free at the end of every month is 450$ for any gear or upgrade i might need
an the most iv ever saved up for is 1500$ twice , the first was a balanced reciever that still going stronge but

the 2nd 1500$ was a pre-built pc that blew so now all my gear i limit to that monthly limit an for things that are more like pc gear an gpu’s i get from amazon by the no-interest monthly payments option

that done far better for me
that how i got the flex 5 an while i would like to get a system76 laptop ther are two hold ups 1 i dont qualify for ther payment plan option 2 they dont have any 2-1 option which i do use.