My Intel line up... Pipe Dream [This is from January - I was right!]

just my thoughts. lets talk

mainstream i7 - 6 cores 12 threads
i5 - 6 cores 6 T
i3 - 4 cores 4 T
Pentium - 2 cores 4 threads

… … and all prices are the same

the 8, 10 core i7s are lower in cost, extreme edition isn’t artificially inflated in cost

That’s my pipe dream.

I think we should finally kill dual cores with fire...
But i guess that's just me...

5 Likes

Apparently intel is going 6 core on the mainstream in 2018 with Coffee Lake. The real question though is if the lake is caffeine free or not. Price's will probably go up though.

1 Like

Aw, I cri. I have a soft spot in my heart for dual cores! Mostly because I love overclocking them, but meh.

No, i mean it's fine, but... I had a dual core back in 2007 when they were top of the line best of the best... We are 2017 now and everything kinda needs more... There is no reason to get a dual core now days. Even less, when Zen f#cking finally comes out...
No... Dual cores must just disappear the same way 64GB SSDs did. They are inadequate anymore.

4 Likes

What really needs to happen is for all CPUs to be at least quad-core and also have hyper-threading/simultaneous multithreading.

To be honest what Intel should do it stop making a billion CPUs that just differ of a couple hundred MHz. Just make one or two of each SKU (for the mainstream), and give users just a K i5 and i7. Also Intel makes those CPUs with a more powerful GPU inside, but they're no where to find. Why?

Just give me a 30w quadcore HT for ultrabooks.
This 2 core HT shit is worthless and my t420p is still just a bit faster than the new kaby lake (multithreaded) and it is from early 2012. How hard can that be? I´m willing to pay a lot for a ultrabook with that (over 2 grand in fact) but nooooo, dualcore for the rest of eternity

If we are talking pipe dreams here, how about:
Rather than have multi-threading, have more cores.

Multi-threading seems a hack to get a bit more performance out of a core, but having it simultaneously run multiple tasks. Seems complex. Wouldn't it just introduce more context switching and trashing of caches?

I don't think its necessarily what they want to do but have to do. Not every sample on a wafer is going to be that 10 core or 22 core Xeon not to mention the silicon being able to clock at 3.2GHz or any sku for that matter.
I don't know for sure but this is my assumption based on what we know so far.

Most likely to maximize sellable yield out of each wafer they have to create all these skus. Maybe in the future the manufacturing will ultimately guarantee what they want to make and sell. Its only getting more difficult, expensive, and time consuming to create these CPU's.

Also as far as the onboard GPU I got no idea. I know for a while the macbooks had the best possible intel HD with the Broadwell cpus IIRC.

Bumping because I was right on 9 months ago! (This is okay right? It’s my thread)

2 Likes