My Homelab: Too Many Parts, so many options

Hi all I’m new here, when Wendell said “you don’t want to Cosplay as a System admin” on “Getting Started with Homelabing in 2026”, it got me to rethink my Homelab Journey/Approach.
I am in the stages of planning out a homelab, the bug bit me when we renewed our annual dropbox and after talking to my significant other why we have it, the reason was “incase this laptop dies I know I have a backup”. Well somehow that lit a fire under my ass cause we are paying $140/year for the last 5 years with something I could have accomplished with Hardware I already had laying around for the past 4 years. One thing leads to another, I’ve now “over-acquired” hardware and have created a Much bigger project than a simple NAS which would have fixed our dropbox issue. I will list the Proposed Hardware deployment and expect services At the bottom of my Post.

My “skills”/Background:
I am an Accountant by trade, but my father was a Database engineer so we had a NAS/HomeServer in 2002, I grew up understanding how an OS works more than the majority of my peers. Would I call myself a “network engineer” not at all. But I love building things and making them work. I’ve been consuming massive amounts of youtube videos from HardwareHaven, LawernceSystems, ServersAtHome, WunderTech, and of course Level1Techs. I will say I am not a Fan of the Terminal and have fallen into the trap of Asking AI how to do things because it is still faster to get a service running and troubleshooted. I have got Server1 running minimally, and Server 3 running as a test to try and understand NFS & SMB shares. Server2 will be built this weekend and then the true “deployment” process will start. So this is why I come to the Forum. I am not that far down this journey that I feel like I would loose progress if I started from scratch with a whole new Server ecosystem (fygoOS, HexOS, ProxMox-Cluster??). Again I would like to avoid the terminal if there are GUI experiences available. I am very much a Visual personal so a GUI allows me to wrap my head around what is actually happening, the Terminal feels like I’m writing on a Post-it, dropping it in a black box, then having to decipher what comes out the other side. And I understand the Terminal Allows for so much more control, but again i’m trying not to “cosplay as a system Admin.”

Main Questions:

  1. Instead of Running my Services Server in ProxMox & the two Dedicated NAS servers as TrueNAS. Should I instead deploy them as a ProxMox Cluster(All three Baremetal installs) with TrueNAS(in a VM) running on the storage devices to maintain an Uniform Backup eco system through PBS?(Feels Very “system Admin cosplay”)
  2. Secondly, am I over thinking this whole process?(Probably yes)
  3. Would installing something like FygoOS on all three?
  4. Are there GUI tools to install within these servers which would allow me to Avoid the Terminal?

Deploy arrangement (current proposal)

Server1: Services Hub
Hardware: Dell OptiPlex 3000 Micro, Intel Core i5-12500T, 6 cores, 12 logical CPUs, 32gb Ram, 256gb Sata(os) & 500gb NVME (Apps/VMs/operations)
ProxMox BareMetal Install
-LXC: Pi-Hole + Unbound
-LXC: WireGuard
-VM(Unbutu Server): (some of these I’m still researching)
-Cockpit(Directly on Ubuntu-VM)
-Docker Running Portainer(Running Below Services)

Uptime Kuma
Immich (App Files on local NVME, Bulk/Originals Storage on Server2 via NFS)
JellyFin (App Files on local NVME, Bulk/Originals Storage on Server2 via NFS)
Nginx Proxy Manager
FreshRSS
LubeLogger
Homarrd
Audiobookshelf (App Files on local NVME, Bulk/Originals Storage on Server2 via NFS)
Paperless-NGX

Server2: Primary Bulk Storage NAS
Hardware: Ryzen Pro 3400GE, 32gb DDR4 Ram (NON-ecc), 2.5gb intel-226 PCI, HBA-i8 Card
HDD Arrays:
OS: 2x256gb m.2 Sata (Mirror)
Pool 1: 3x6tb Raidz1 (WD Red Pro, Recert Drives, Clean Long SMART Tests)
Pool 2: 4x3tb Raidz2 (HSGT SAS drives Manu-2014) JellyFin Media Files (NON-critical bulk storage)
Pool 3: 2x3tb Raidz1 (Seagate Barracuda, sitting on my self for 5years, sub 2000hr use, passed long Smart Tests)(NON-critical bulk storage)
Purpose: Main Data storage, High touch and maintenance, this will be the Serve which gets the primary upgrades in storage when money allows.

OS: TrueNas
Provide NFS file shares for Services running on Server1
Pool 1: Immich, Paperless-NGX, Store Backups of Server 1’s Configs and app data.
Pool 2 & 3: Jellyfin and AudioBookshelf libraries.

Server 3: Onsite Backup Storage for Server2
Hardware: i73770k, 16gb-DDR3
HDDs: OS: 2x120gb SSDs, Pool 1: 3x4tb Raidz1 WD RED (still wrapped from 3+years ago)
TrueNas
Purpose: This will be an active backup for Server 1 & 2
Datasets to be backed up:
Immich
Paperless-NGX
AudioBookShelf
Configs for Server 1 & 2