My HDD suddenly became uninitialized

I was copying over about 250GB of files from one drive (Drive A) to another drive (Drive B) when suddenly the transfer went from a steady 150mbps to nothing and stayed there. I tried to end the file transfer and it failed so I tried to reboot the PC and it wouldn’t reboot so I hit reset and now the drive is missing from file explorer, shows up as uninitialized in disk management and shows up as unknown device in device manager.

Any ideas?

Also I’m on Windows 10.

EDIT: Unplugging the drive seems to have fixed it for some reason. Not sure what happened.

2 Likes

Well, Lucky break!?
If the transfer completes okay now, you can go ahead and mark as solved?

If you have not done so recently then now would be a excellent time to backup your computer.

2 Likes

I think you hit a bad series of sectors on your drive. As TheCakeIsNaOH suggested back up everything you have on that drive. You might’ve hit a large chunk of sectors that aren’t in good health and the controller of the drive didn’t know how to complete the transfer.

https://www.grc.com/sr/spinrite.htm

Yea I was in the middle of a backup when the issue happened. Not entirely sure what the issue was.

I think so however according to crystal disk info everything’s so good.

1 Like

Well in that case it could’ve also been that once in a while unrecoverable error. But still, if I were you, I’d dig deep to make sure my data are safe.

This topic was automatically closed 273 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.