My Gpu won't go above 70% utilization in Direct X games. But Vulcan is fine

I’m having a very strange issue with my 6900XT, since installing the 22.7.1 driver. After updating to this driver, I notice in Eve online, that my fps seemed very poor, Upon bringing up the FPS meter I saw all my clients were stuck at 30fps, Until I switched off vsync in eve. After this, I noticed general poor performance in Archeage also, and noticed my GPU will not go beyond 70%, and when it does, it immediately plummets (with a corosponding fps dive) down to about 30-40% then slowly climbs back up until reaching 70% and this goes on and on. I tried doing a factory reset in the driver, I tried DDU and rolled back to the 22.5.1 driver, Nothing seems to help. Whilst tinkering to try and see if there was a setting causing this, I ran a stress test on the GPU which comfortably pegged it at 100% and 280watts, Curious, I then loaded up Doom Eternal (Vulkan) and that game happily pegs the gpu at 100% and runs like a champion, as is the norm with Doom Eternal.

So It appears to be Direct X related? (Eve online is using dx11) and other games i have tried that are also direct x games run quite poorly. Anyone have any kind of clue what on earth has gone wrong, and how I can go about fixing it? (I’m very tempted to just Nuke windows and fresh instal but since I use game pass, this also means i have to format my game pass drive and re-download everything because Microsoft store / xbox app are terrible terrible pieces of software.)

I run 3 Displays, Two 4k on each side of a 1440p Main Screen, Have 64gb Gskill Trident Z 3600mhz, a Ryzen 9 5950x on a Gigabyte x570 Aorus Master. Everything had been behaving perfectly prior to the Driver Update. (The Card was bought brand new a couple of months ago, it’s not an ex-mining card off ebay, if that is relevant)

Any assistance would be greatly appreciated!

1 Like

Have you tired using DDU (Display Driver Uninstaller) to wipe the drivers completely and then reinstall them fresh.

Failing that and it being a bug in the new drivers you can again use DDU to wipe them and go one version back, or however many gets back to normal hopefully.

It would be interesting to know in general if this goes away with an older version.

1 Like

Yeah, as stated in the post, I tried DDU, I tried Factory reset in the AMD driver, I tried reinstalling the previous Driver.

Sorry i read it and then scanned back through. Missed it twice.

What about the AMD chipset drivers. Its another step removed and liklely you GPU is in the direct to CPU slot bypassing it mostly, i know they can go time with out being thought of.

Though that one is more of a guess.

I Have not tried re-installing chipset drivers, But i’m fairly certain I updated them recently (probably when i got this card) The issue seems to only affect Direct X games, so feels to me like some kind of driver got fried, but why resetting and DDU and Installing a previous version has had no effect I’m at a loss.

1 Like

Yeah similar, sorry at that point im out of ideas, dont know much about direct x libraries.

Can you separately (re)nstall directx in windows been so long simce i have manually.messed with them outside of windows update.

There appears to be no way to re-install direct x in windows 10 according to Microsoft there is no standalone package and it can only be installed through windows update.

I decided to load up Doom 2016 in OPENGL and same problem, Caps out at 70% and barely able to stay above 100fps in 1440p Ultra. Swap into Vulkan and 200fps locked (appears to be the maximum fps that Doom2016 will run at??) Usage on the gpu was way down at 40% in Vulkan, So I swapped to my 4k TV and put it in 4096x2160 and Still capped at 200fps, but was able to find a heavy scene that pushed the gpu to 97%

So, now it seems, DX and OPENGL both suffering the same issue.

1 Like

I have updated to the 22.7.1 driver again, and still same issue with Direct X games not wanting to go past 70% on the gpu

I searched for similar problems, though not deeply as my mobule data is very slow in work. I see lots of posts of this problems with nVidia going back to 2104 at least, but only one for amd and it was a 5700 and 3600 serup, the answer was not helpful, just said get nvidia…

I dont want to say wipe and reinstall windows on a whim but its looking less and less options.

Have you got another PC with windows you could put the card into test and see if for some reason it is a hardware issue.

Or maybe even a linux live boot and see if direct x games emulated there do better.

1 Like

Still no fix to this issue, Anyone else have any bright ideas?

So after copious tinkering and testing and such, this appears to be some kind of cpu bottleneck, tho why or how it was suddenly introduced and how to get rid of it is still beyond my grasp. When I run the offending games at 8k they push the gpu to 100%, and i have tested multiple others, doom 2016 in open gl etc, I had to take Doom Eternal all the way down to 1128x634 on low settings before I found the cpu bottleneck with that. (Such an incredibly well coded game, it pushed my 5950x to 69% on all 32 cores at this resolution)

1 Like

That still.does not sound right though. It would not universally stop at 70% for all DX11 and OpenGL titles. Should still vary around there.

Couldn´t this be some kind of a scheduler issue with windows 10 and the 5950X?
vulkan has better gpu utilization on AMD cards in general.
Most info i find is not very help full indeed.

Is your bios up to date?

Did windows update your bios and wipe settings?

As a band aid you can use curve optimizer to claw back some CPU performance

Only asking because I don’t see it mentioned, but have you checked the behavior on a fresh Windows install yet? Even if it’s just on an old spare hard drive/etc.

1 Like

normally when a gpu wont go over a set value its being bottlenecked by the cpu.
but your on big screens with high settings so that shouldn’t be an issue.
so i would check cpu utilization and temps.

check your windows updates. if you have updates from around the time you installed the new drivers. remove them too.
check the drivers read me it might tell you it updated the chipset drivers with new micro code.
if so you may have to remove them and re-install them.

.if your on windows 10 uninstall the gpu and chipset drivers.
run a reg cleaner (ccleaner works well enough although you will want to uninstall it after use, dont let it sit in your tray).
i know wendell doesnt approve, but ive used reg cleaners to clean broken chains/reg entries since windows 3.1 with no issues while fixing issues like this.
(just dont optimize the registry and never compress it) just clean out old keys.

to do this with ccleaner install it, click reg clean, click analyse, click clean.
when it asks you to make a backup. choice is yours but i never do.
clean everything…
then analyse again, rinse and repeat till you see no more errors in the analysis…
once done reboot and install the drivers and chipset again.

also you might want to check for infections and running background tasks.
(malware bytes free, or eset free will both catch stuff that windows defender might miss)
you might have imported a coin miner or other malware that’s chewing up cpu, cycles and causing the gpu to be starved into a soft bottleneck.

good luck.

1 Like

Thanks for the suggestions, I have tried putting in an old drive with a prior windows installation on it and same issue, but i have not tried a fresh install yet, I’ve looked over my bios and can’t see anything in there that would be responsible, (i also have updated to the latest bios which didn’t help either)
The coin miner thing did occur to me, but if that is the cause it came in an official AMD driver downloaded through the Adrenaline software, I use Bitdefender which i’ve found to be very reliable, But I am trying malwarebytes now and nothing came up.

1 Like

the 22.7.1 Drive supposedly " Up to 92% improvement in OpenGL titles: AMD’s newest Adrenaline update brings a massive performance increase to Radeon GPUs" So it seems clear that SOMETHING they did, has backfired in spectacular fassion but why on earth I cannot undo it is the question

2 Likes

At the very least, the strange issue I was having with Eve Online capping at 30fps has gone away, So at least something somewhere has started to go right.

2 Likes