My full time linux experience so far

so it’s been almost 6 years of going full time linux. haven’t been on the forum since so here i am doing a write up now

back then i had a mac mini with ubuntu which ran like an old vw golf would. it ran but not that good since it was only 2 cores and had all those juicy apple restrictions built in…
i was already following wendell on youtube for a while back then so i felt pretty confident about trying new things.

i couldn’t afford a new pc but i still had my old x58 system i bought as a teenager with a gulftown 6 core intel chip. my first pc i built myself. so i dug it out of my basement, dusted it off, overclocked it and installed lubuntu. i mean they always say linux is great with old hardware and it really was. i was amazed on how this system from 2008 was running faster than my mac mini from 2012. and i used that thing as a daily until zen got so good intel was trying to catch up. i didn’t wanna get the 6th or so refresh of 14nm and i always was an amd fanboy since that day i got my shiny ati gpu when i was like 14. So i got a ryzen system and a used r9 fury. at that time i wanted to try debian. ubuntu’s dad is what i thought. and i loved it.
i even was gaming on linux back then using the occasional vm or dualboot so i could get my rainbowsix siege fix and other online games…

today i have a newer system also with debian. my laptop runs debian. all my friends pcs run at least linux mint. i run my own minecraft server. i built my own nas from scratch running truenas. i have my own media server. my own raspberry pi htpc. and with proton and steam i don’t even need vms or dualboot for gaming anymore…
now if only there was an easy fix for my nvidia driver issues…

soo this is how i got to be a fulltime linux user.

ps. i still have my trusty old x58 pc. you will have to take it out my cold dead hands at this point. as it is with my model m keyboard (you can’t imagine how hard it was to get one with the swiss lay out)

4 Likes

I started on linux in 1999, using a older box as a linux firewall. I switched to full time in 2000-2001, while i was taking classes to become a MCSE (microsoft certified systems engineer) in windows 2000. I distro hopped for a few years settling on debian about 2008. Upgraded to sid and ran that until 2022, when i was forced to do a reinstall to to a bunch of outdated cruft had crept into my system, causing assorted problems.
I have run Debian on a bunch of outdated hardware with great success, even with the nvidia drivers. I am not a gamer with my gaming limited to things like solitaire and other card games.
current rig is a 5050x on a MSI meg unity with 32GB ram , a rx580 ,and a bunch of storage (plex server). Also have a range of (skylake based) machines running debian or mint (plex clients mostly), a pfsense box , a NAS running xigmanas (freebsd), etc.

2 Likes