My first Nvidia experience

then thats all that matters. If its better and to the amount you just said is satisfactory then you have no argument. I am very happy with my purchase

1 Like

Go home AMD, your drunk

???
wat?

I am guessing you meant the fire starting Fermi cards.

2 Likes

Those cards were a lurgend. If a 290X is an Oven set to Broil, then the GTX 480 was a Furnace to melt metal.

Was Furmi not the 400 series? Or is that 500?
I was under the impression it was the 400 cards.

Both it was spread across them for some of the 500 cards too.

you have given them your money once from what i understood, or do you get new card every year? amd doesn't release that often. Then again you should come more often to tech forums... they would've told you 4years ago to RMA that GPU.

This has basically convinced me to buy a 1070. I have an R9 390, and it's 'good enough' on Windows, but the state of the drivers on Linux for AMD is dreadful.

1 Like

I have had multiple AMD GPUs, R9 280, 295, 390 all from Overclockers uk all having identical driver issues over the lifespan I have had them despite using all available drivers including BETA drivers
There is nothing wrong with the R9 390, all the driver issues i have had throughout all my AMD cards. If you mean the temps... well from the multiple forums I am on, everyone has said it's just how the card is. and from what else I have seen, that is the case.

Give it a bit of time. The AMDGPU pro driver should correct these things in the next months. It should eventually support all cards 2 generations back.

i never had the issues you described on crimson and 290x's, fury-x.
(on 290x's when they were released i had plenty of problem with vram - broken modules, high heat, improper appliance of thermal compound, shitty cooling systems from asus, gigabyte, msi etc)

(I had plenty of ATi, AMD, NV GPU's, and when card had no issues - i had no issues.)
(ATi Rage, Rage 128, Geforce2, Geforce4 440MX, ATi 8500, ATi 9200, ATi 9500, Geforce7600GS, Geforce8800GT, ATi x3870x2, 4xATi 5870, 6950, 2x6990, 2x7970, 4x290x, 780Ti, Fury-x, rx480)

There were drivers that were causing issues but that was long time ago, during 6000 and 7000 series, and early 200 series... at this moment no1 can really say if amd drivers are bad - because they are better than nvidia.

I personally feel like I've waited long enough considering the first AMDGPU pro driver was released in February.

Also, I actually have a 4k monitor, so any more power I can get is nice.

He said R9 Nano, not Nitro. Nano is that little bugger with the full Fiji ASIC on it and the single fan.

The did delay a lot! They were suppose to release them last year summer. That is probably the reason for the driver issues. The left a zombie driver that made no sense to support as it would be obsolete soon (fgrlx) as the only option for a whole year as they were developing the new one. Hopefully this should be sorted out now.

You probably have all ready sen but if you cant quite stretch to the 1080 the 1070 performs very nicely at 4k it seems, only done limited testing myself though

Based off of what I've seen, the 1070 will be just fine for me.

The R9 390 did well at Overwatch at 4K, amongst others, it's just the Linux performance that urged me to switch away.

I've always liked the "70" Nvidia cards, great bang for buck IMO.

glad you like your card op, peace be with you.

I had my first AMD experience this year with a R9 390. After 3 days of struggles and crashing drivers I said out loud:
"This shouldn't be this hard!" and I returned it.

1 Like

Out of curiosity, was that Linux or Windows? Or both?