My first Live-Stream for over 2 hrs, where I demo my new Asus ROG Strix 1080Ti OC, How to overclock, manage XenServer, play PUBG,. Wendell's KVM + Lots more!

Hi all!!

Today has been an amazing blast. The morning started with workmen arriving and starting on a 30-panel PV install (Solar panels at home) to offset the 1.5MWh juice that my “stack” / room sucks up.

Things I covered

• Removed GTX1070 from the 7920X rig (far left)
  • Moving the StarTech (Intel) NIC from the “old” pfSense Router to the 7920X rig (going to virtualise pfSense in XenServer).
  • Installed a new “el chepo” GTX1050 into the XenServer (just for UEFI usage).
  • Pulled out the GTX1080 from the 6850K gaming box
  • Installed a brand spanking new Asus ROG Strix GTX1080Ti 11GB OC Edition

I also walk you through on,

• Basics on overclocking, HOWTO. How to find the sweet spot, and fine tune.
  • Running benchmarks in Assassins Creed Origins
  • Playing PUBG; handling crashing due to artifacts
  • How to deal with Overclock instability
  • How I manage my XenServer in a virtualised Win10 in Fedora, via qemu/kvm - Shout out to Lawrence Systems Tech Talk’s Tom for his excellent guides on XenServer stuff. Highly recommended!!
  • I boot up Gitlab and Ansible Tower (awx), connect and show they are running.
  • I talk about mining (I think…); I’m not a miner though; but I do mine. (Watch video for clarification) - when a miner who mines isn’t a miner!! hahahah.
  • I show you what Fedora (26) looks like a Desktop
  • I demo running Benchmarks in Linux on the Threadripper 1950X.
  • Also demo the epic Displayport @ 60Hz KVM by Wendell Level 1 Techs, which does GSync 100Hz.

Enjoy - appreciate thoughts comments. I haven’t slept in 40 hours so I’m pretty hopped up on Nespresso lots of it, and am waiting to have a quick meeting PST time (Feb 1st) - 0848 AM PST as I type but I plan to crash/blackout by 11am PST.

2 Likes

Good news - I can confirm @wendell’s epic KVM does 100Hz GSync too. Amazing… and I’ve got some loooooong cables too…

Just to recap my morning - the workmen arrive, well the main Solar Team. All the Solar project stuff will go in another thread as I want to help teach others how to set one up on their own - I’m paying a company well over $15,000 to do this.

Being Sri Lanka - workmen here don’t care for safety - there aren’t even proper electrical standards/conventions it’s shocking. They love to shove their cables where they feel like it.

Thankfully this is not a UPS backed line and I have it on a custom 16A breaker. That’s my Nespresso stack which I keep next to my Fibre line and NVR for emergencies.

This is what my “Ingress” point looks like. There’s 3x PoE bits going on. Lots of Ubiquity TOUGH Carrier Cat5E Outdoor grade use since I have a 1000ft roll. Don’t want to waste the stuff as local stuff is utter shite.

• EdgeRouter-X // I plan to replace this with a beefier model
  • Ubiquity TOUGHSwitch 8-port PoE, my main, ingress L2-switch.
  • That’s an old Netgear Nighthawk.

Getting amped up for the day and being silly on Facebook… I’m always silly on Facebook :wink:

Back in my room cooling down. Admiring and appreciating my Audemars Piguet Royal Oak - being a crazy Watch collector (high-end Swiss stuff) and also my favourite Benchmade “Black” Military grade “Protagonist” Tanto knife. The knife collection has grown!!

DHL arrived and delivered the ZOTAC GTX1050 which is now in the Skylake-X 7920X box.

Then I had a local retailer hunt this one down. They charged me LKR175,000/- in real monies that matter - USD1,135/- but I get a 3-year shop warranty.

3 Likes

@lawrencesystems’ Tom gets a wave and shout out in the video!!

Thats very cool and informative.

Thanks and keep up the good work :+1:

1 Like

what are you paying per month ? In my country that would be 200$ per hour or 4800 per day or more than 130k per month. Damn impressive build you have.

1 Like

Ha, it is funny that you should ask that!! Sorta…:sweat:

It has been eye watering considering I’ve been spending close to $5,000/- if not more per year for the past 6-7 years to our utility provider… and that’s what I wanted to “fix” since we get free power thanks to the wonderful electromagnetic spectrum.

About bloody time, and well, it’s cause I will be adding a 27U rack and as you can imagine, my energy usage is going to hit 2-2.5MWh rather easily. That’s almost 9000 MJ (Mega-joules).

Holy batman, Doc brown would be proud!!

I will be project-logging this in a separate thread but here’s a quick “SNEAK PEAK”…

I’m also building out the home-office; my masonry carpenter is here and I’ve given him 3-contracts. I’m basically taking over the large dining hall.

This room is fairly large and what I like most is that it has a solid-concrete Teak-beam supported ceiling (the strongest in our very old, but renovated home).

What you see here is the virtualised (VLAN tagged) wireless network that I call “It Burns When IP” :rofl:

1 Like

Looking forward to seeing what you’re gonna use that U27 server for then. Any world conquest or T virus stuff going on? :yum:

1 Like