My E5200

Been overclocking my old Intel E5200 dual-core (2.5ghz) on the stock cooler. I never seem to run in to any temperature issues with it.
System has an Asus P5QL Pro motherboard, Intel SSD for boot drive, GTX950 for GPU, EVGA NEX750B PSU, and 8GB of DDR2 XMS2-6400 800mhz RAM.
I'm currently at 3ghz on the CPU, been as high as 3.6ghz but I was running in to some random crashing after a couple of days of use. I just scored a 709 with Unigine Heaven (haha), min 17fps and max 63 with everything on Ultra. Temps barely change on the CPU which leads me to believe I can push it a lot more. New to overclocking so I'll keep experimenting with it but this is a lot of fun and a good learning experience.
Happy Holidays!

2 Likes

This is a very GPU heavy program but it hardly taxes the CPU, so it's not great for gauging CPU stability. Give AIDA64 a try for a stress test, and for CPU performance boot up Cinebench and run the CPU test. Those will usually expose any faults.

Sounds like you're making great use of some old hardware though. I recently took an E5300 to 3.3GHz for a friend who just wanted a bit more power out of his old rig before he has the money to upgrade to a brand new machine.

1 Like

Indeed, it's great to get some more lifetime out of some older hardware. Feels good man.

My current gaming rig has an E8500, stock 3.16Ghz, took it to 3.95GHz, cannot take it higher than 4GHz without overclocking the RAM which is not the fastest kind (and I'm by no means an overclocking wizard, it is probably possible). Hitting 4GHz was not stable even with a hefty voltage bump. But up until 3.95GHz was smooth sailing with only a slight voltage bump. Temps never reach more than ~60 degrees, but that doesn't mean the chip can overclock into oblivion and still be stable I suppose.

That thing should be hitting 4 GHz or close to it if things go right. What cooler/HSF are you using?

Well had the Memory Management BSOD again. Seems to happen whenever I overlock. Not sure what kind of settings are causing that. When I had 3.3ghz OC I seemed to be more stable but I can't seem to remember what settings I used to achieve that (doh).
So I'm back my default which kinda sucks! Time for a new PC anyway! I'm not sure I have the patience to keep messing around with it.
@DeViLzzz I'm on stock cooler, but temps never seem to go overboard and surprising cool at those overclock speeds.