My cpu speed drops to 0.19Ghz

Recently my cpu speed has been dropping from around 2.45Ghz to 0.19 when am playing games.Its so bad that this even happens in Roblox.I have a cooling pad under my laptop and i dont think this problem is because of overheating.I noticed that when my cpu speed drops the laptop is completely cool when i touch it.CPU speed is faster when i touch the laptop and its hot.i setted my minumum cpu speed to 100% and this still occurs.Also after a while when my cpu speed drops it returns back to normal, i can fix this by restarting the laptop but always doing this is getting annoying i also dont know if this problem is due to a hardware problem and i dont know much about computer etc and cant check whats the problem.

This does sound like a thermal issue in regards to the thermal paste drying up on the cpu cooler.

This would require a repaste and require that the notebook be taken apart as well to check the cooling for the CPU.

Most notebook manufacturers use a dual cooling solution where it cools both the cpu and gpu, IF your notebook has a dedicated GPU along with the onboard graphics.

2 Likes

i got the laptop 4 years ago and after a year this problem started occuring but after i got a cooling pad it was solved now it happening again.Also i believe that i have an integrated GPU

I would check around and see if somebody in your area can repaste a notebook computer unless you feel comfortable doing this yourself.

Maybe check out iFixit and see if they have a kit and guide for you notebook too.

You may also need to clean/blow out the notebook too, this again requires that you open it up.

2 Likes

almost certainly thermal issue

you will need to repaste it and make sure the air flow is unimpeded

cooling pads are all well and good but the heat needs to be moved away from the tiny little chip that generates it or else it’s all for naught

manufacturers have a habit of doing a bad job of pasting their gear, and if it’s dry small gaps will form between the metal heatsink and the chip

ive done hundreds of laptops that behave like this

1 Like

i live in north cyprus and in my opinion manufacturers are not trust worthy here, since they take so long to repair, set a high price and not doing the job well.How much do repastes cost around i’m thinking to buy a gaming laptop since i believe my current laptop is in this state because i tried to play games on it and it can run games like counter strike and valorant around 60fps but now i got this cpu problem.

Well thermal paste here in the US is pretty cheap, even large tubes.

You don’t need a large tube but it’s basically getting the notebook opened and to remove the CPU cooling heatsink and fan and then clean the old dried up paste using alcohol and then applying a new coat like applying paint so to speak to the cpu heat spreader.

Thanks for the help i will give my notebook in to do thermal paste and clean the fans.

I would also do a Youtube and Google search on how to guides in regards to the make/model of your notebook.

I don’t have any experience with your area but you shouldn’t be paying more than 1-2 hours labour to do a repaste unless it’s abnormally difficult to get into

my notebook is HP 250 G7 with Intel(R) Core™ i7-1065G7 CPU @ 1.30GHz, 1498 Mhz, 4 Core(s), 8 Logical Processor.

i really dont trust them. Once i gave my phone to them because it had problem with its battery and they forgot to put the SIM card i realised this 2 days later and when we called them they couldnt find it and few hours later they called us back saying they “Dropped” it and could see the card

If it is indeed a hardware problem with overheating, try to confirm or rule it out. Yes, since the original additional cooling helped, it seems that this may actually be the problem, but…
https://www.passmark.com/products/burnintest/bitlinux_download.php
Do a stress test and try to repeat the drop in clock speed. If it does, then you’re sure that’s the problem here.

Unlikely, but I’ll mention it…

This is contradicted by the improvement of the situation originally when you added cooling, but it doesn’t hurt to check. Check the variant with the registry “Fix-2 Disable Intelppm registry in Registry Editor”.

Personally, on old cpus, I saw clock fluctuations, although not as large as yours, and under load it was rather sporadic. So I doubt that’s the case with you, but check to be sure.

https://www.reddit.com/r/Surface/comments/eflc84/cpu_speed_stuck_at_019_ghz_does_someone_have_a/

By looking at other similar problems, you could definitely check if a change in the registry won’t fix the situation.

i runned a CPU coverage test for 10 minutes and it got 95 errors in temparture test @tjw and @BigBodZod was right i probably need to change the thermal paste. I also runned a max CPU temp test and right in the first 20 seconds it got 4 temperature errors

Just FYI, I have seen this issue before on various laptop including Microsoft Surfaces. You will want to make sure you are running the latest BIOS for you laptop as well as the latest chipset drivers for the platform. This is sometimes caused by an APIC/power management issues and is usually corrected by BIOS update or software via chipset drivers.

Also Wiping and reloading a fresh updated version of the OS may not be a bad idea either.

Good luck, let us know how things go after the fact.

I want to ask a question real quick. @TimHolus @BigBodZod .my cpu speed drops while gaming but after like 10-15 minutes it goes to normal and slows down back again in few minutes.What’s this reason for this perhaps the CPU speed doesnt drop because of the heat?

Could be thermal issues or perhaps the power profile you are using.

This comes into play a lot more on a Windows based notebook computer more so than a desktop due to power and thermal constraints.

Are we supposed to guess? :wink: Possibly a bug in the control/management somewhere in the bios or Windows or something from Intel…

I had a dozen or so machines with a problem in intelppm which, on certain settings, caused clock spikes at the wrong times and noticeably slowed down the pc.

What is the problem with your machine… I guess you have already determined that the temperature is the problem…?
Pretty much everyone has already said what’s going on. The rest in your hands. :wink:

@TimHolus @BigBodZod good news guys.I just knew the problem wasnt the heat since the cpu speed would drop down even when the laptop was cold.So i founded out from other resources that in the throttlestop app if you uncheck BD PROCHOT it will solve the issue.Thank you guys for all your efforts.the problem was solved.

1 Like