My Be quiet PSU is making a squishy noise and my light are flickering

emphasized text

The best way for me to cut a long story short is simply show you the video. Yesterday the PSU was totally fine and worked perfectly. Today I bought a brand new Noctua CPU cooler and this is the result. My specs are : CPU: epyc 7751p with 32 cores.
Motherboard: h11ssl-i
RAM: 256 Gigs
PSU: Be quiet 750W 12 M
I have an m.2 where I have installed ESXi, no SATA cables yet as I am still in the testing stage.
Yesterday everything seemed to work with a different and very loud CPU cooler, but as soon I installed the noctua, super quiet by the way, everything just went to hell. And also the fan seem below in waves and not stable. Please help me understand, both the PSU and the CPU cooler are brand new.

I would turn that off straight away.

Does it do the thing if you go back to the old cooler?

Maybe try using a different fan for testing?

Does the cooler do the thing in a completely different system?

2 Likes

Unfortunately the noise remains there even with the old cooler, however there are no warning in the system. With the new cooler there a critical warning when the system is on.

:warning: :warning: :warning:

That sounds like arcing to me.

1 Like

Can you reference the critical warning in a manual

Something very wrong singing on with the PSU

1 Like

I would bet that your PSU has gone bad somehow.

I would unplug it from everything else and remove it from the case completely. If you want to test it more, you could use a PSU jumper or just hot wire the pins on the ATX connector.

In my not-so-scientific method, I would remove the PSU from the case (just in case it catches fire), and put it in a dark room. Then hot wire the pins and see if you can see the magic blue light coming out.

I would return the PSU instantly, as said by @MazeFrame this sounds like arching, if arching is the cause it is likely a fire hazard.

The old CPU fan probably drowned out the noise if it was as loud as you say.

1 Like

Sounds like either arcing or the fan is rubbing against a piece of plastic, neither of which is good. But only arcing would make your lights flicker. Since it continued when you put the old cooler back on can probably rule out a backplate shorting something. Swap out the PSU for another ASAP and if that fixes it do not use the PSU again. If the PSU is faulty it could already be damaging your hardware.

1 Like

First off I cant hear a thing and I had to amplify the volume on my speaker. Is this a codec/DRM issue on my browser?

Secondly, I would have joked and say you probably need to check that in the Arch Wiki for possible fixes but we have to be grounded in reality

Thirdly, with your current situation, you not resisting the urge to stop what you are doing for the safety of your life and property and maybe just replace it outright and maybe do a RMA if there is still warranty.

Looks like the light flicker is just LED flicker, but…
I had a problem where my PSU (Silverstone SFX) was making coil whine noising when my lights flickered (brown out flicker); it turned out there was a burned connection in the meter outside. Utility company had to come out and fix that. PSU seems fine after. That was a while ago. PC never shut off or acted like there was a problem, other than the audible noise.

Test changing power cord. Cord which came with my be quiet 12 were defected and caused bad contact inside of cord connections when touched. Took good few hours to find issue. Second suggest re-seating all cables on both ends.

2 Likes

looks to me like yer pc is haunted…
best call a priest…

Priest-altar-boy-magazine-centerfold

not this guy though :smiley:

1 Like