My Backup Server

So I found a pretty good deal on craigslist that I just couldn't pass up. I have actually been looking at this exact case for quite some time now, and to find it on craigslist with a motherboard was a nice surprise.

The case is a Chenbro SR30169:

The motherboard is an Asrock Rack AD2550R/U3S3. Atom D2550, dual NIC, a bunch of SATA ports.

The case is currently going for $140 on newegg, and the motherboard is either over $200 on amazon or $150 on ebay. I got everything for $150.

The motherboard is a bit disappointing to me. I guess I should have done a bit of research, but it should do just fine for my use case. It seems to be limited to DDR3-1066 and 4GB. It came with 8GB installed, and it shows up. So that's cool. But it will not boot with two 8GB sticks.

So, as soon as I got home and booted it real quick to make sure it worked, I stripped a bunch of stuff out and looked for ways to improve and mod. First thing I decided to do is replace the front USB 2.0 with 3.0. That'll be here on Friday. Should help make backups (of the backup server) go quicker.

It came with a pretty cool looking chassis intrusion switch. I'll try to get a picture of it. It is only on the left side panel, though, so I was wanting to add one to the other side. And I also wanted to add one to the front door. First thing I need to figure out was how to wire these. Series? If any of the three switches opens it should register. The second thing I want to do is monitor these from within Linux. If any of the switches open I would want the ZFS pool to unmount and the disks containing the pool to encrypt. I would also need to figure out how to (securely) turn this security mechanism on and off.

Anyone have ideas on how to accomplish this?

2 Likes

First, you can wire the switches in series to achieve this, or add a few transistors. As of monitorings in Linux, you can use a port or driver from the motherboard if supported or create a simple SERIAL COM or USB board to activate a script within Linux. And for encryption you can Encrypt your entire volume. So that if it unmounts you need to enter the password to mount it again.

1 Like

Can you see if the switches have been activated from within the OS? On my server I have a script that runs every minute which checks a bunch of things and if certain conditions are met it unmounts and locks the disks, you could do something like that.

If your motherboard doesn't have a way of interfacing with these switches you could use an arduino or something like that and just have a service running which monitors it and runs the unmount script when the switches are opened. You could simply use your sudo password to enable or disable the service or you could add some other kind of password system to it. If you wanted to physically activate/deactivate it then maybe a key switch or something like that.

Thanks, @Dexter_Kane. I remember reading your amazing exploits in paranoia. I will use some of your methods for my setup.

I got Fedora 25 Server installed, and I can see the intrusion contacts using sensors. Strangely, there are two listed. Intrusion0 opens and closes with the switch activation. Not sure what or where intrusion1 is, don't see it in the manual. Not super concerned about the second one.

I stopped by Ax-Man and picked up a few micro switches and some standoffs. My dad had a reed switch he gave me, and that combined with a tiny 2.5 inch hard drive magnet works very good for the front door. Now I just need to mount the micro switch on the other side panel and wire them all up.

I also got a panel-mount dual USB3 to replace the USB2. Unfortunately the product I received most definitely did not match the picture on Amazon. So I am going to have to get creative with that to get it to fit.