Must Reads for Nerds?

Hi everyone,

I remember that in one of the Tek / Inbox episodes Logan and Wendell talked about "must reads for nerds".

Does anyone know which episode that was?

You may also post your own opinion about the topic ;-)

Edit: Talking about IT-Nerds

Like technical reads or more literary reads?

Technical, well that really depends on your field of nerd. If it's just nerdgasmic stories I'd say Asimov's Foundation series, Niven's Know Space series, Walter John Williams' Voice of The Whirlwind, William Gibson's Neuromancerand Frank Herbert's Dune series.

George Orwell - 1984

Wozniak's Bio - iWoz

Ringworld enigineers was a fun read. Most of this stuff is more scifi fan than nerd. Reading Wozniak's bio is pretty nerdy tho. :)~

Thank you!

Those are the things I'm looking for 

Hyperion

A Song of Ice and Fire series, Lord of The Rings, Silmarillion, Hyperion, Hitchhiker's Guide To The Galaxy are some notable ones.

Hitchhiker's Guide is a good one, another good Science fiction series is the night's dawn trilogy by Peter F Hamilton, war of the worlds, I also like Asimov's works and for a laugh I like any of Terry Pratchett's Disc world series.

I don't know if these are must reads but I always like mentioning these two authors anyways, Rick Dakan's Geek Mafia series is pretty awesome. I'm pretty sure you can still get the ebook of the first book for free. Also I've loved most everything I've read by Cory Doctorow even the stuff thats not really nerd leaning. A lot of his stuff is based in nerd and geek culture though. Little Brother and For The Win are both really good.

+1 to Hitchhikers, best series ever.

I have a nice copy of Cory Doctorows Little Brother and that is a really easy/fun read. 

A few suggestions here, but if it's to be for nerds specifically?

Cryptonomicon - By Neal Stephenson <-- start with this if you haven't read it.

There's also some more sci-fi themed books I can reccomend:

Anything by Alastair Reynolds, 'Revelation Space' and the rest of the books in that series are a good place to start.

Also there's a longer Sci-i book series called The Saga of Seven Suns - by Kevin J. Anderson. Also very good books. 

Any book by Carl Sagan

The sprawl trilogy by William Gibson

The Art of Deception - by Kevin D Mitnick (and an intro by Wozniak)

Excellent book regarding the origins of hacking and IT security, Social Engineering and controlling hte Human Element of Security.

1 Like

Anyone notice Dune in the video's? Butlerian Jihad?

The Zones of Thought series by Vernor Vinge are good hard science fiction books. I've heard good things about the Culture series by Iain M. Banks. Of course you can't go wrong with J.R.R. Tolkien. Some of the Star Wars books are good, like the Trawn Trilogy.

If the topics dead, don't necro the thread, but got right ahead, and make a new thread.