Multiple PSU with mixed manufacture

It is good to use dual PSU, or even triple PSU setup with multiple models and manufacture ?, it’s that good idea ?, I have 1000w corsair, 1000w seasonic, also 1500w be quiet
Note : For WRX80 platform

Servers have dual PSUs but this is for redundancy, for in cases where if a PSU fails and it is critically important for the server to be up, you have a spare take over for the one that broke. IIRC the Threadripper platform does not have this function. So, just stick with the fancier rating, the be quiet one with the 1500W

Are you talking about a redundancy factor, or trying to divvy up power demands?
… Either way, I wouldn’t go mixing up [distinct] PSUs, for such an engagement

Not for redundancy, I have RTX 3090 Ti x6 setup, so… I needs at least 3000w power supply… that’s very massive computing power…

There is no 3000w power supply available in the market, even if available that will be extremely expensive, in CN 1000w power supply price only 40-50% of 1600w, so… I can use three or four 1000w power supply

It’s for massive workstation setup, I need at least 3000w power supply
3.000w or 3kw, and that’s very big

I would go with a server PSU in this situation as its going to have the power to drive a big system like this.

One other note is that you need to make sure you have a dedicated 20A breaker at 115v (US) otherwise you will trip a breaker. (and honestly 20a is not enough. Should really be either 20a 240v or 30a 115v)

So 3 of Supermicro PWS-1K68A-1R 1U 1600 Watt Redundant Titanium Power Supply PSU 80 Plus 672042154616 | eBay

with a PBT SuperMicro 27-Pairs Power Distributor SC418 Chassis-PDB-PT418-B6824 | eBay

would net you 4800w and cost under $250ish.

3 Likes

Daaang. That is way better than trying to chain some franken-consumer PSU together.

I have almost this exact same setup for my gaming PC except im only running 1 GPU so 2x 920w PSU’s are plenty for me.

3 Likes

For CPU plugs, use them from the same PSU
On GPUs you can use different PSUs but I would not share multiple PSUs on a GPU
You can share multiple GPUs per PSU but not the other way around does that make sense

1 Like

How does one even connect several generic PSUs to the same system? Would one PSU then drive the system, and the other PSUs provide the 6-pin power cables to one or several GPUs each?

Then you would need to get the soft-on signal to the additional PSUs, this can be done of course with some wire hacks.

I remember doing something like this for powering hdd:s at some point in the early 00s, but I would assume those are less sensitive than GPUs.

I have 100a 220v dedicated for my workstation, maximum 22.000 watt, also I live in CN not US, there is no problem at all for electricity…

Nice! that solves one of the biggest issues we have in the US!

1 Like

Here you go :slight_smile: :wink:

Do you have suggestion for more expensive power supply ?, I think it’s not reliable enough for 6x RTX 3090 + WRX80 setup…, but for my xeon e5 server that’s good idea… that’s big risk if I use $50 power supply, at least $250-350 for 1500w power supply…, in my area it’s about $500-$600 for 1500w power supply…

How to know which supermicro power supply is compatible with this power distribution board ?, can I use 3x 2000w version ?

Looks like it works with 3x PWS-2K02P-1R, I would have to dig in deeper to verify that the PWS-2K08A-1R is 27 pair.

1 Like

Do you think is this compatible ?

it has the right number of connectors.

1 Like

You could go the ‘jank-route’ that Miners have been doing with the Add2PSU modules, there are some Enterprise variants as well (in fact it was created as a solution for HomeLabs and Home Servers).

I just fear for the stability of such a setup with that many high-end GPUs (and their transients, of course…)

1 Like