Multi monitor opinions

Hey guys,

I’m looking for some opinions on multi monitor setups. I currently use my PC for productivity on windows (AutoCAD Civil 3D, Lightroom, Photoshop, Excel, All of the tabs in chrome)

My setup now has a single Acer 32in 4k monitor which is great and really like the screen real estate, color reproduction is good enough for what I do. I came from a dual 23in 1080P monitor setup which was a positive move. But I miss me some multi monitor setup goodness.

I want to add more but I have reservations about what to do.

I have come up with two paths in my mind:

• 32in 4k monitor (Horizontal) flanked by two 24in 1440p monitors on each side(Vertical)
  • Dual 32in 4k Monitors (Horizontal)

0 voters

1. I get another 32in 4k monitor and put them side by side. Everything matches but I like having a center monitor as a “main” monitor then turn my head to the other monitors when I need. I know I can just set them up asymetrical with one in front of me and the other off to the side but I really like symmetry and it would not be the best with my desk setup.

2. have the 32in 4k monitor in the middle and get two 24in 1440P monitors and put them off to the sides vertically. I like this idea but I’m concerned with the difference in DPI (32in 4k=137ppi, 23.8in 1440p=123ppi) causing things to look too big or small between monitors. I would probably use display fusion to “split” the right monitor into two separate top/bottom snaps.

I am leaning towards option 2 but what do you guys think of the jump in DPI between the two sizes? Do you guys use a lot of vertical (portrait) orientated screens? How do you like it? What are your preferences with alignment between a Horizontal and vertically orientated monitor?

TLDR: for productivity what would you choose: dual 32in 4k monitor or one 32in 4k monitor flanked by two 24in 1440p monitors?

Given that the programs you use for productivity favor a horizontal orientation, I would just go with the dual 4k monitors. Depending on workflow, you could use software to window one screen into 4 equal sections for misc stuff (email, spreadsheet for reference, whatever) and the other monitor for whatever you are actively working on. I personally use 4 acer 23" 1080p monitors in a 2x2 config. One screen for emails, one for web browsing, one for remote sessions and server monitoring, and one for misc. Works really well for me, but I also don’t use AutoCAD or Photoshop.

I would say dual 4k’s as well. If you like symmetry, then you may want to mount the monitors vertically instead of side by side. If you are using windows 10 then you shouldn’t need any software to split the screen. You can split any window into quarter or half with the window key + arrow keys.

Interesting results so far as the majority is leaning towards dual 32in 4k monitors. I think that would be cool but with the bezel in the middle it never was the most ergonomic. I also should take in consideration on how wide a dual 32in would be compared to two portrait 24in on each side of a 32in

43" LG 4k