Multi Media Management

Hi Guys,

If I had a larger libriary of “media” mix of movies and TV series that I had obtained through various… methods… What is the best sofware to organise, manage and clearly view them in?

I like VLC for my music when not lisening on YoutubeMusic online, but for video it’s just one big mess when you have 24 series over 10 episiodes each proggrames etc… Ideally I would have a software I could create TV show files and organise them all manulally into seasons etc… give ratings and make a proper little libriary. Any ideas welcomed. Even paid ones :wink:

A lot of people use Plex, there are other solutions out there tho.

1 Like

Depends what you want to do.
If it’s only local, I like the flexibility of Kodi.

If you also want to stream to outside the PC, Jellyfin is an option.

No reason to do that manually:

https://www.filebot.net/

Although, most… uuhh… “sources” already name the files in a way that will be picked up by the major media libraries anyway.

2 Likes

Thanks I will take a look :slight_smile: Appreciated

Knowing little about Kodi, what flexibility does it offer over Plex? Especially on local networks?

I haven’t used Plex so I can’t really make comparisons.

But what I like for Kodi is mostly the user interface (via skins) and what you can do with the library in terms of organisation and smart playlists. Also the addon repository is huge at this point, and not even talking about third party repos. If you’re also gaming on the same device there is a Lutris addon too.

1 Like

Good to know. I may begin to look into it as Plex seems to be running into some issues.

I think Plex can also manage streaming services such as Netflix, Spotify, etc.

Its a paid service though, on top of your other services.

One thing I forgot to mention about Kodi. It does actually have a web interface if you enable and configure it. It can also do streaming via the web interface, but as far as I know it still does not do transcoding on the fly like Jellyfin, emby, or Plex do. If you have the bandwidth though it is totally usable. That being said Kodi needs to run for the web interface to be active and last I checked there was no headless mode.

1 Like