MSI z97 UEFI VMWare 12 cannot install Manjaro

Hello all, I'm running VMWare 12 in Windows 10, MSI z97 Mobo with VT-d enabled, i7-4790, Manjaro KDE 1509-x86_64, tried with both Linux kernel 3.x 64 bit and 2.x 64 bit and no joy. It will get to the installation screen, but after trying a few of the options, all get stuck in the splash screen, now it doesn't even get past the Manjango screen with the five dots under it. Anyone run into this, found a thread in the VMWare forum of the same issue but there were no replies.

When the splash screen pops up, you could try pressing the down arrow on your keyboard to see whats actually going on behind the splash screen. Did you check the md5 or sha sums to see if the isos were good?

SHA1 is good, keys don't seem to do anything. Linux Mint KDE is giving me a hard time too. I'm a newb with VM's and Linux and today a buddy told me that Windows 10 with UEFI has been an issue. I think its PEBKAC. I get Ubuntu 14.04, ADHD and Kali 2.0 to install without issue. I'm starting to shoot in the dark spinning up new machines using Debian instead of Linux 4.x etc.

What was the issue with Mint? Same?

Nope, Mint gets into the desktop environment- first attempt I started to install from there and I had not allocated enough hard drive space. Deleted and started the setup again (with larger hard drive space) and now clicking on anything in the desktop environment does not work (like the clicker in the mouse does not work). Kind of bummed my only Linux experience so far is Ubuntu and failure- I would like to see distros outside of Unity, maybe even give the Linux challenge here a honest shot.

Still can't get Mint KDE working, but used Debian 8.x 64bit for a Mint Cinnamon ISO- I like the look, but getting a warning that video hardware acceleration is not working so "much higher than normal CPU usage" could be an issue.

• edit, added another processor and core in the settings, Cinnamon is running better. I like the look so far, but want to see KDE too.

I think most of your issues are in your VMware settings. Of course I've never used VMware or had a UEFI device. I know when actually installing in a UEFI device you need to make sure certain options in your UEFI are set correctly, but I wouldn't think it would matter so much in a virtual machine. Unless VMware is set to use certain UEFI features. You could try VirtualBox.

For sake of ease, instead of figuring out what's going on with other distros... you could take a distro that works... such as Ubuntu and install the community versions.

I'll give VirtualBox a go tomorrow. UEFI is saying my VT-d is set.

Ubuntu re-sizes the screen automatically, ADHD has some scripts in the desktop to help the end user achieve about the same results- gotta find a way to do the same for some of these other distros. I think I can map a drive and just copy the scripts from the one distro over to others.

Ran my first windows program inside of Wine in Ubuntu- next is to test if the external hardware's driver I use that software works as well.

I like Wendell's video of using unity mode in VMware I believe, where it was Ubuntu natively installed, but windows 7 running in a VM, but unity mode made it almost look like you had an Ubuntu/Win7 hybrid running.

Do take into account that performance in a VM probably isn't gonna be on par with how it would perform on actual hardware. Running windows programs inside linux inside windows might take a bit of a performance hit.

http://www.ubuntu.com/download/alternative-downloads
Towards the bottom there's mirrors to download alternative versions of Ubuntu. You could try out different desktop environments that way. Kubuntu for KDE, Xubuntu for XFCE, and so on.

Might be worth checking out OpenSUSE and Fedora as well though. Actually, definitely try out OpenSUSE.

Thanks for the advice, will check those out. For the performance hit, just trying to get my feet wet, not tying to game or run anything intensive, at least yet. There is something about virtualization that tickles me- maybe I can put in the work to graduate to some bigger goals like playing with Linux KVM haha.

I figured as much, I just want everyone to love Linux as much as I do, and sometimes the "initiation" phase so to speak can be a little frustrating and cause people to give up prematurely, so I worry about that. Even if you don't choose to use Linux as your daily driver, there's countless other reasons to use and support it.

If you think about it, a lot of the problems you face in Linux are caused by OEMs not bundling drivers and picking the best supported hardware like they do with any PC that comes pre-installed with Windows. And as for things like graphics driver performance, the faster we can show there's a larger public interest in graphics performance on Linux, the faster we'll get more support for better drivers, which are actually starting to get noticeably better in the last couple years already. The better Linux gaming is and such, the harder Microsoft will push to give a better Windows gaming experience and we all win.

I'm happy there are those like you out there to help with the "transition" because as you say, the "initiation" phase can be very frustrating.

1 Like

I've slowed down on some of my linux exploration, but I have to share a sarcastic rant from reddit that IMO totally sums up how I feel when I'm hopelessly trying to learn and resolve a linux issue (or any OS issue for that matter, my Windows 10 app store and calculator app is broken- fun times)

If you ask the question, you'll get an army of vocal assholes belittling you for not being able to search through the poorly written man pages to figure out that you have to add 3 lines to your .wtf file, or create a .WTF.d directory underneath your .whyIsThisFolderHere configuration folder, and that will work fine, if you're using version 1.4.2.1a of the OpenBITEME.so library, but if you have the 1.4.3.7b or later version, you have to switch the order of .WTF.d and .whyIsThisFolderHere directories.
Then you realize that you’re running 1.4.3.1, which isn’t discussed anywhere in the help docs, and when you mention it people either ignore you, or mock you for not just applying the 13 patches from 5 git repo’s, 7 subversions servers, and a CVS repository stored on a someone’s private NFS server in Belarus, and why don’t you just use Gnome Desktop, or KDE, or some other hideous UI layer on top of this crap that was clearly designed by a 16 year old kid who just finished binge watching every Transformers movie, and doesn’t know what normal feels like, because he’s been drinking Red Bull every 2 hours for the past 4 months.

It made me literally LOL.

xfce, where have you been all of my life?!?

I still like Mint, but I'm really finding xfce very intuitive, maybe because its lightweight and thus not complicated/feature packed to the point I'm overwhelmed at first.