MSI Optix G24C; Artifacting at 144hz but not 120hz

I am not sure what to call it exactly, But I got this monitor today from the deal last week.

When I run it at 144hz the right side has this weird aliasing or artifacting [ I don’t know what its called ] But if i bump it down to 120Hz in Nvidia Control Panel. it all goes away.

I have tried two seprate Display port cables, this changed nothing, Did not try HDMI, I don’t think it will run at 144Hz on HDMI

So i was wondering if anyone had suggestions if this was something I could fix. or if i just need to return it?

Text and gradients seem to show the worst.

In nvidia control panel have you got it set to rgb (rather than ycbcr 4:2:2 or 4:2:0) it’s possible that if the cable/ports don’t have enough bandwidth for 144hz at your resolution it will automatically change to a lower bandwidth color mode which causes image problems because its a lossy/low quality conversion

Unsure where to find that setting, These were the three windows That seemed close?

It’s at the bottom of the resolution page, under the resolution box

If that doesn’t do it, I have seen a bunch of this from crappy dp cables

1 Like

Ah, I feel a fool, I seem to only have RGB in the drop down.

I have tried a second dp cable, was thinking to buy another, but i didn’t think an issue like this would stay the same between cables?

@wendell Do you have any suggestions on quality cables? I think I will order one of those and see if that solves the problem, I could see this being a through put issue.

Does it only happen with video or is it for everything?

Are you sure your video card supports display port 1.2? You could try it with hdmi aswell as long as your video card supports hdmi 2.0

From the Manufactures site
Gigabyte 1060 3GB [GV-N1060WF2OC-3GD]
Output
Dual-link DVI-D *2

HDMI-2.0b*1 (Max Resolution: 4096x2160 @60 Hz)

Display Port-1.4 *1 (Max Resolution: 7680x4320 @60 Hz)

So it says it supports 1.4, but not 144Hz
No it will do it on web pages also, and even some of my rotating back grounds. [The picture of a fridge was in my email.]
I have not been able to see it in a game yet though. Tried many of corner or light source to get a gradient. but no luck.

I have this same problem with the Samsung version of this monitor. They both have the same Samsung VA panel. It also flips out if I try to use freesync. My aoc 144hz tn panel has no trouble though. I’ve even tried swapping the cables. In fact my Samsung monitor has been getting worse and it will have artifacting like I’m seeing stars even at 120hz now. Unfortunately I got it refurbished from woot and it’s outside of return period and Samsung won’t warranty it.

Also tried with RX 580, Vega 56, And a GTX 1070

It does not really matter wether or not it “supports” 144hz. 10 series drivers/cards sure do.

Wikipedia got a decent table about what display port you need to drive a resolution at x amount of hz.

1.4 has 25.92 Gbit/s while 1080p@144 needs 8.00 Gbit/s.
The monitor only has DP1.2 anyways, witch is still 2x.

Meaning. I dont really think the cable is the problem. Especially as you tried two. Does not seem a lot to ask for half of what it should be capable off. Unless your cables both are from DP 1.0 times? Could always be wrong though.

@maximal thanks for the info. Both my cables are not marked for which version DP they are, one is new that came with it labled “Chinlung Displayport”. the other was one my brother had from his upgrades awhile back.

I have ordered one of these to see if that will fix it [https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B005H3Q59U/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1]

@urmamasllama Ok, thanks for the info, I might borrow my friends 580 that i got for his new build to see if it also shows up on his card.

Just tried it with HDMI at 144Hz, It was worse, So I would guess it is the monitor and not the cable then? with the slight chance of it being my GPU.

Actually, partly never mind what I said about the cable before. There is no such thing as a DP1.x cable. They all are appearently displayport cables, expected work with all display port connectors and just cable quality sets them apart. Weird because they still sell it to you and write DP1.4 into the name or description. So in the end you gotta buy a cable someone has tested with x amount of bandwith. (might be the seller themselves) The wikipedia thing is still helpful then to translate what it means when someone only tested it with say 4k60 to other resolutions and hz. But my argument kinda falls apart.

https://www.displayport.org/cables/how-to-choose-a-displayport-cable-and-not-get-a-bad-one/

Sorry for that, didnt really know any better till now.

Yeah hdmi is the same, hdmi high-speed is supposed to work with anything from 1.4 to 2.0 but its only tested at the minimum length, in laboratory conditions and only to 10gbps so there’s no guarantee that even a certified cable will deliver the bandwidth required unless it has been tested by a third party. I imagine DP is the same.

Yeah I’d say it’s the monitor, it might be worth contacting support and see what they can do.

Yea, Luckily it was the office depot Cyber Monday deal, which required in store pick up. So I should be able to walk it back in.

I would like to help everyone for there help with this. Normally quite tech savy, but I know very little about monitors. So again Thanks for all the help!