MSI GTX 1070 8GB Bottlenecked?

Just bought a MSI GTX 1070 with 8GB and while some games are playing flawlessly at max settings, I find some games like Metro Lastlight have big frame rate drops in certain areas. I also notice this in games like the Total War series (i'm sure this is a very heavy game on the processor.I was wondering if my processor is causing this. What recommendations do you guys have? Thanks

GTX 1070 8GB
AMD FX 8150 at 3.6GHZ
16 G of ram
running at 1080p

At 1080p you are going to notice a significant bottleneck in cpu bound titles, and even a slight to moderate bottleneck in mainly gpu bound titles. I would recommend monitoring gpu utilization in game to verify this. I use OpenHardwareMonitor on my second monitor to watch Gpu-Core utilization but you can use tools such as Msi Afterburner to run an overlay on your game to monitor usage. I am fairly certain it is your cpu, and as an upgrade I would opt for a Skylake based I5 or I7 system, although in some cpu bound games even an I5 is seeming to become somewhat of a bottleneck for the higher end Gtx 1000 series cards. Increasing resolution will also help to alleviate although I would recommend a cpu upgrade first. I'm afraid overclocking your 8150 to its limits will more than likely not fully alleviate the bottleneck, your cpu is plainly to slow for this graphics card.

2 Likes

Well stated.

I concur.

For now you can try, if you have good cooling and a good motherboard, overclock your CPU as high as you can. That will alleviate some of the bottleneck. While not amazing the Piledriver series was a big improvement over Bulldozer which was fairly poor in lightly threaded applications. Upgrade your CPU to some Skylake part and that should get rid of most of it.

1 Like

also unpark your cores if u can. i had some bottle neck lagging with a 1080p on the division, unparked them at the advice of some other users on the community discord and it fixed it for that title as well as other games.

1 Like

The AMD FX series are known to bottleneck at higher settings, and not by a small amount either. I sincerely hope Zen rectifies this issue because otherwise Intel maintains their monopoly and they will keep their high pricing :<

I recommend either:
- Unparking cores (as suggested below). This sometimes helps, sometimes doesn't.
- Getting a beefy cooler to crank that 8150 to 4.5GHz+
- Upgrading to an intel platform (I7 or E3 xeon)

Hell I even upgraded from an I5-2400 to an I7-4790k and noticed a significant increase in smoothness in every game or on the desktop even. I almost saw a fairly big increase in minimum fps in some games (Min going from 33 to 55 for example in BF4)

would you recommend something like this as an upgrade? https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0158MZERS/ref=nav_timeline_asin?_encoding=UTF8&psc=1

Not a bad combo, although keep in mind you would also need new Ram as you would be moving from a DDR3 platform to a DDR4 platform.

For DX11 definitely, but Vulcan or DX12 will alleviate a lot of the CPU overhead and make CPU usage multi-threaded. I think despite being low in IPC, its cores will compensate in the new APIs.