MSI B350 Tomahawk Review & Linux Test | Level One Techs

I recently got a board. I'm running my R5 1600 at 3.95 @ 1.375 volts roughly. I'm having the same problem as many others in that my ram won't go over 2666 even though it is rated for 3200. It's EVGA SuperSC 3200 2X8 GB

You probably tried this already, but I saw Tiny Tom's review where he said he had the same trouble out of the box, but got it to work after manually entering the values in the BIOS. Is that particular kit listed on the QVL for the Tomahawk?

I am wondering is there currently any software telling the correct VRM temps as I am getting 112c on a 1700 3.8 OC.

I don't think they should be getting that hot. The motherboard is the Gigabyte B350 Gaming 3

Thanks

Also Hi @Ungari

1 Like

Hey! Good to see you Dragoncurt!

MSI has a search-able forum where you can find some issues that may be common. When I had a problem with one board I went here and found out allot of others had the same problem.

1 Like

Software read out for vrm thermals are often kinda unreliable.
Doesnt Gigabyte have their own temperature read out in their software center?
Otherwise check the bios if you can find any information on vrm temperatures.
112°C sounds not really realistic to me.

Yeah, when I tried anything higher it wouldn't even post. I even tried timings in the upper 30's. The motherboard doesn't recognize it though

Is that kit listed in the QVL for your mainboard?

I guess not

It is using SK hynix chips though

Unfortunately, you want Samsung B-die on Ryzen .

Yes pretty much.
Allthough if you have a gpu less then a GTX1080.
Then 2666mhz is basiclly also gonne be fine for a decent gaming experiance really.

Just a sidenote cause I don't want to derail again. I understood we were talking about x8 vs. x16 in general :wink: Although I can't imagine why it would make a huge difference in CF either (though I don't have an article about it). Both cards wouldn't be bottlenecked by the bandwidth of the x8, the only concern would be the CF communication itself, not sure how much bandwidth that takes though. Would be interesting to know for sure.

It's about the difference of running the 2nd card off the Southbridge at x4 on the B350 vs. both cards controlled by the Ryzen GPU at x8 on the X370.

Neither B350 nor X370 provide their own PCIe 3.0 lanes, only 2.0 lanes (6 vs. 8). As far as I know PCIe 3.0 is always wired into the CPU directly. Please correct me if I'm wrong there though, I always read it this way.

/edit
see chart here:

The Chipset doesn't provide PCIe 3.0, this is not Intel that somehow gets x16 lanes through an x4 PCH :smiley:

Unfortunately I don't have a block diagram for this specific board though.

/edit2
nevermind the above... found the block diagram, the second x16 slot is actually 2.0 x4 (so effectively 3.0 x2) ... you're right.. my bad, kinda silly layout but w/e. As far as I see every B350 board does it like this though... bummer

There are one or two b350 that use the nvme lanes for a pcie slot which is cool for stuff.

I would love to see an x370 miniserver board that has x8 x4 x4 x4 (nvme) x4 pcie 2.0

That would be super sweet.

A b350 miniserver with x8/x4 x4 x4 x4 (pcie2) would also be acceptable.

Yeah, but why they don't make any b350 boards that do either x16 or x8/x8 is beyond me... that would make so much more sense, especially since x370 is already doing it.

Also really eager to see what they are planning (if at all) for the mini-server side, some ultra-low-power CPU would be neat (outside Laptops).

Currently, with the overclocking being so limited, the need for 16 power phases at the top tier X360s won't be utilized, and B350s can manage the voltage even with just 4+2 VRM, although some have reported higher temperatures than optimal.
As it stands now, it's features like what we are discussing plus the number of SATA ports and M.2 that is the important differences to consider when deciding to purchase. With the next generation we may very well see the inclusion of these features on both B350 and X370.

So I bought now 2x 16GB Corsair 3000Mhz whatever (officially recommend for Ryzen by Corsair) for 280€. This didn't change anything. I got the same issues all over the place:
- PC randomly turning on and off multiple times at power-on
- BIOS resetting stable OC settings
- Screen flickers black / blue during Win 10 boot
- PC turns on but GPU shows no signal
etc. pp.

I seriously think the voltage regulators on this board are crap. There are couple of "sweet spots" regarding voltage but overall it doesn't make sense.
E.g. a more or less stable setting might be:
VCore: 1.300V
CPU NB: 1.100V
DRAM: 1.370V

But if I increase or decrease one of the values, e.g. increase DRAM to 1.380V the whole thing doesn't boot. That doesn't make sense at all, except if you figure the voltage regulators on this board are crap. I need to drive all values at once up or down and then there are couple of corresponding values where the whole thing boots.

I'm trying to get a replacement from MSI but so far no response. EDIT: To be fair, today's sunday. :smiley:

I've seen other reports saying the same thing you are.
AsRock has a B350 that employs a 6+3 Power Phase VRM, but the jury is still out due to lack of user reviews.