MSI A68HI AC won't boot [UPDATE, CPU or GPU]

Yeah the Athlon 845 was released after the A68 chipset came out, so I assume OP got some of the older stock of motherboards with a bios that didn't support the new chip.

Mine is in a little lan rig with a 750 Ti and it's surprisingly good for the ~$300 I paid for the whole thing.

2 Likes

Makes me wish I had gone with the 860K, the few % IPC increase ain't worth the trouble of updating the BIOS, especially since I am not allowed to do it via USB like I was with my other computer. So I needed an older, potato CPU.

UPDATE: I tested it with an A4 5400 APU, it worked fine with the APU even though there were 2 bent pins, so I ran the BIOS update, after I was done, I put back the Athlon X4 845 and suddenly it was not able to boot up. I tried to see if it was the graphics card, my graphics card was a Gigabyte G1 R7 360, build quality was horrendous, so I swapped it out on my main build and my main build wasn't able to boot with that GPU, but it did fine putting back the GPU that was already in there. So I think the GPU was the culprit as far as , but it doesn't explain how I was outputting on that GPU's DisplayPort when I had the other CPU in there, and at the same time, my GPU wasn't being read by the operating system and was running off of the integrated graphics.

TL;DR, I don't know if it's my processor or graphics card that isn't working, but one of them isn't. The CPU fans are on though but so is the GPU fans.