MS Windows - Tiling Window Manager (i3wm for Windows?)

I have been attempting to tile my windows (without knowing what it was called or that there were specific window managers for the task) for a while now, and after seeing Wendell’s desktop (as well as countless other desktops) with these beautifully organized spaces, I would LOVE to have that option for my workflow… Are there any (hopefully free as in beer) options for Windows? Or, does anybody have any good suggestions on how they tile their windows in Windows?

edit: Multi-Monitor compatibility would be great, but isn’t a “must-have” feature.

edit 2: I tried bug.n for about 10 seconds but it was ugly and rather unintuitive…

i tried one (don’t remember the name) a year ago and it didn’t work well
but this could be a place to start looking if you haven’t checked it out yet

Yeah install linux kek.

Uhh, well heres a thing. Use the linux sublayer and have i3 on your VM system for all your actual work.

Or y’know, install linux for your actual work and have a separate windows machine completely.

I appreciate the help - I hadn’t checked reddit - but that post kind of became a thread like the comment quoted here:

1 Like

So to clarify - yes, I need to use windows - it sucks, but its the case. We have too many Windows-only applications/programs to use another OS…and these apps/programs are the reason I want a tiling WM; so running a Linux VM with i3WM is not an option

I’m not even sure if windows has shells made for it anymore. Like IDK if the API’s allow for that sorta thing now. I’m not trolling now, but really just run a windows VM on a linux box in integrated mode.

There WAS a shell site long ago that I used for XP and 98… If I find it I’ll send it to you.

Also for reference: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_alternative_shells_for_Windows

https://www.nurgo-software.com/products/aquasnap

I use their TidyTabs product for Windows and I really like it. The free personal license is a little limited, but $20 for a pro license that will boost your productivity might be worth it. TidyTabs made sysadmin tasks so much easier, but that is a different work flow completely.

1 Like

I did look into this and played with the free version a bit - it seemed like a good solution, but I was hoping for something that didnt cost as much as a fancy lunch :slight_smile:

1 Like

I like this for Windows free and you can make custom grids, though I just used the 4 corner preset

1 Like