Moving my fibre Broadband to another room

I have moved into a brand new build and with all there wisdom they have fitted the fibre in the same cupboard as the boiler, at the bottom of my hall way (every thing is on the same level)
due to this Signal isnt always the best as its having to go thru 5 walls and pipes.

I have decided to use a old tp linl tl4010 start kit ,
so fibre = tp link = tp link = router

The downside of doing this is my download has went from 180mbps to to 88mbps bit if I was to play a 1080p YouTube vid the speeds will go down to 23mbps
Any suggestions that don’t involve drilling holes in walls as I’m not allowed to do that as for longer cables would mean leaving doors open as there is no space to run cables under them with out damage to the cables.

p.s I know my tp links are only for 100mbps but i hate how they drop to 20 odd when watching youtube

How about, chiselling /shaving a small corner of the hinge side of the door, and running the cable along the skirting board?

I mean, the fiber modem might get hot in the boiler cupboard, and get flakey, and like you said, seems a dumb place. But presumably easier/cheaper for them

hmm could try that needs to be hidden well as we are due a the annual inspection , not even allowed to decroate till the houses settle, all bloody stupid really

Is there really no way to run cables under doors without damage? Even flat ones?

sadly not all ready tried and the door got jammed ,

Can you pull the fiber back out to the exterior and then extend it down the length of your house then re-insert it maybe from below (crawl space) or your attic if you have one so it is inconspicuous?

dont have attic as I have some one living above me, how ever ill have a look to see if there is any extra cable behind the box

Why don’t you just extend the fiber cable? Not sure where you live, but here in Switzerland you normally get a standardised socket (LC/APC) for fiber in your home, and then you run a fiber patch cable from socket to where ever you have your router. I run a 15 meter patch cable with no problems at all.

1 Like

I know you said no holes in the walls, but hear me out… If your landlord is a large corporate entity they’ll have no clue what/where the wall jacks in your residence are suppose to be located. If you fish the wall with an ethernet cable you could install a “patch” between two keystone jacks to extend the network to another room. And when you move out just tuck the keystones into the wall and replace the faceplates with a single gang blank that matches the color of the other wall jacks. If the height of your jacks matches the existing outlets I doubt anyone will ever notice. Yes, it’s a bit sneaky but sometimes it’s easier to ask forgiveness than permission.

These are the type of retrofit mounting brackets used with low voltage installs. Only requires a drywall saw and screw driver.

P.S. - Remind yourself: you’re not a terrible person… the landlord is for installing it in the boiler room! :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

1 Like

That’s what I do to ever apartment I have ever rented. As long as it looks good it won’t raise any eyebrows.

If you call your internet provider they can extend the fiber cable and use the existing channels in the walls to route it wherever you want it to be.
Since it’s a super slim fiber cable can run alongside power lines without breaking the electrical code or any other safety requirements.
Or you could just ask to run one or two ethernet cables in key areas of your apartment. That can be done by an electrician and it’s simple enough that won’t cost much. And to avoid new holes in the walls just exit the cable near plugs already installed.

1 Like