Motherboards with chipset-fans are dumb!

Der8auer did some testing with a small cheap passive chipset heatsink, and it never went above 70°C with a single PCIe 4.0 NVMe and GPU.

Apparently you get into trouble when you run two 4.0 NVMe drives in RAID, which could probably mean that more basic boards with just one M.2 slot shouldn’t™ need the fan.

not liquid cooling or using peltiers…

3 Likes

Honestly rather would wait for next gen boards as i dont need pcie4.0 storage drives on consumer tier board. The fraction of the users who will actually need it are small, dont get me wrong pcie 4.0 for storage is big but going from Sata to NVME for most people is pointless already except for epeen

2 Likes

AMD restarted their loaner CPU program, so B450/X470 aren’t out of the question.

1 Like

I mean honestly b450 is prob win as donesnt have crossfire so your gpu slot is probably 4.0 capable along with nvme slot.

1 Like

Needs more liquid cooling master race

We need x599 to have MULTIPLE fans @noenken … all the fans… man… gotta get that supreme air flow m8 …

LOL id love to peltier cool a TR

1 Like

Budgetboard buyers
This is a good use for those unused fans on the stock coolers sitting in a red box
Hat tip to Buildzoid for writing about this for the VRMs on his 970M pro3
Phenom was loud, Fx stock fans are really quiet comparatively.
My NB and SB used to get really hot when OC’ing

A fast cpu in a cheap board is better then a slow cpu in an expensive "gaming"board IMHO

I for one like the fan. It’s a nice design accent.

1 Like

Its definitely gorgeous and a necessity all motherboards need fans…

Fans everywhere… gotta have that airflow man…

1 Like

I think people underestimate how much heat comes off the board itself. Theres so many components that see little airflow over them. Also the chipset fan is another spot we can add RGB effects too so thats nice.

2 Likes

It’s definitely a necessity I agree… especially for heatsinks designed for aesthetics over raw fin cooling

Next we should have x670 with 2 fans at minimum

Fans man… they are awesome spinning design touches that make an oh so wonderful whir noise… whats not to love

1 Like

So… Buy Intel? Wait for a new generation of boards to come out that handles distribution of heat better?

2 Likes

That’s a really good point. I wonder if the OP thought about the customization potential.

1 Like

Don’t be too flippant.

You’re right, I made an edit.

Although, with Intel, I know I could throw it in the bathtub and be done with it as far as cooling is concerned :wink:

1 Like

Like someone mentioned it would be nice if motherboard manufactures would use standard 40 or 50mm fans. That way if the fan fails it’s easy to replace. And even if the fan is perfectly fine one could swap the fan to something better.

I was thinking this, but I rather go for the B450 board since I won’t need Pcie 4.0 (still using regular sata SSDs), and I need mATX board.

and my 2500k is starting to get old

3 Likes

you could, just get another heatsink. use the existing mounting screws to make your own retaining clip

then a 40mm noctua. problem solved.

Of all the things to complain about with this launch, the chipset fan isnt even on my top 10 list.

2 Likes

Hnngh stop giving me ideas

No but seriously, I wouldn’t mind doing this, but I was more speaking on behalf of users who don’t want to go deeper than simply swapping out fans.

3 Likes

I mean, this is a real business opportunity that could open up a couple years down the road.

• get a 3d printer
  • make color customized fan ducts that house the noctua 40mm fans and screw in place of the existing fans mounting points
  • ???
  • profit
2 Likes

Become sponsored :sunglasses:

2 Likes