Motherboard for threadripper - testing MSI MEG Creation X399 vs Asus X399

I’m specc-ing out a similar build in the near future with the Extreme Alpha + 128GB ram. Reading through this thread is answering a lot of questions I had, but also bringing up a couple new ones. What RAM are you using in your build? Did you look at the “Qualified Vendor List” from the Asus website when picking it out? It doesn’t make sense to me why certain brands/speeds would be compatible but not others.

I had been planning to do DDR 3200 CAS 14 ram, but is there really any point if the highest it could clock is 2933?
Comparing DDR 3600 CAS 16, DDR 3200 CAS 14, or DDR 3000 CAS 14 (links to the second two below), it seems like the DDR 3000 CAS 14 would make the most sense if none of them could get past 2933. Or would the 3000 not even be able to reach 2933? From what I understand, the CAS 14 is more likely to be from a Samsung B die.

Is it possible a BIOS update in the future could allow higher ram speeds, or is it a bottleneck between CPU and RAM that isn’t going to improve?

Thanks in advance!

This is the RAM I’ve been looking at (DDR 3200):

Alternative (DDR 3000):

there is lot of issues with RAM on this platform … i was able finnaly to run it stable @3400 CAS 14-15-14 after week of playing with all timers and consultancy on overclockers.net.

That’s with all 128GB? Do you mind sharing which ram you’re using?

It’s still sami stable…

You need to disable power saving features, find a sweet spot for voltage etc.

BTW:

Wendell reviewed MEG and mentioned it’s a last board :wink:
What about asus zenith extreme alpha huh ? :smile: