Motherboard and GPU for Ryzen GPU Passthrough

Hi,

I'd like to find a cheap motherboard and gpu that I can do GPU kvm pass through with.

I know wendell has reccomended GIGABYTE AORUS GA-AX370-Gaming 5 for this but I saw that the GA-AX370-Gaming K5 was much cheaper. I was wondering if the GA-AX370-Gaming K5 would be the same as GIGABYTE AORUS GA-AX370-Gaming 5 for kvm passthrough.

I also will need a gpu. In have an r9 280 and I would like to give that to my guest operating system (windows).

I have a 1440p monitor and a 1080p monitor that are in a dual monitor setup. If you could recommend a cheap gpu for me for the host operating system, that'd be great. I will not be using the host operating system for anything graphic intensive other than powering a 1440p monitor and a 1080p monitor.

Thank you.

I have an gtx 210 but I dont think that will have the adequate horsepower to power my two monitors. If I am mistaken, please let me know.

I can confirm that the GA-AX370-Gaming K5 works for passing through my GTX 970. The IOMMU grouping I'm getting is still not great with the latest bios, but at least the two x16/x8 pci-e slots are isolated, allowing to pass through a video card and usb controller. I would be surprised if the Gaming 5 gave different results.

I'm not sure about the video card for the host OS, since I'm running a headless host and passing through my only video card to the guest OS. At this point, running a headless host looks like the better option in combination with a usb controller that can be passed through as well. This will give you hassle-free usb on the guest, whereas achieving that with two video cards in the x8 slots might be a challenge.

Good luck!

1 Like