Most insane news story I've seen NSFW

You're statements are internally inconsistent in this post. Please revise.

Reactionary measures are easy I am asking about preventative measure. Not inconsistent. Stop derailing.

1. Just don't leave it to testimonial only (maybe go as far as making that law).
    a. Have a review process that involves someone signing off that all recording equipment and gathered evidence support statements (such that signing off puts that person on the line and guilty of perjury if falsified)
  2. Have any equipment responsible for surveillance designed so that it can't just "accidentally get lost" to the point officers have to sign off on functionality before starting shift.
  3. Make FOIA easier to do/ making any unjustified claims for declining a prosecutable offense (again, a matter of putting those in power on the line)

In the end it's just a matter of putting effort in producing an accountable system that works for everyone that doesn't lead to corrosive behavior, such as leaving the department to fund themselves on penalties rather than municipal funding. I guess with the way that this thread has gone, some time times those small blips of a reasonable point get drowned out. Looking back I can see you echoed some of my points, it's just things went off the rails a few times that it came off looking like some of your feed back came off looking like the "it's just a few bad apples" argument.

I was more looking at it from the "how do we stop humans from making human mistakes?" angle.

And the current cycle of mistrust isn't helping anyone.

I like the recording equipment for legal and complaint purposes. Random audit of footage isn't a bad idea either.

I 100% agree with the citation based funding. I would go a little further with getting rid of for profit prisons. They also put incentives in the wrong place.

The drug war is some the issue as well. Occupation mentality and militarization of police are a direct results of that.

1 Like

I guess at this point what needs to be said had been said. I guess if there's something to take way from this. Sometimes when a counter argument is left without a remedy, it can come off as looking dismissive. I should probably stop here before I dwell on things.... I find myself falling into an ugly downward spiral when these stories pop up.

This is something that really interests me and points to a lot of the causes of societies problems.

Stanford Prison Experiment
Bad Barrel Makers

Phillip Zimbardo has the research to solve this issue. It's not the drug war and the mentality is a symptom.

I don't disagree but this is an interesting read:

Not a credible source. Also negated by previous points as a symptom.

Alienation with community policing is a well know issue with the philosophy. Granted, it is the department's responsibility to fix it.

The prison experiment doesn't fully hold because normal communities don't have anywhere near the same level of dehumanizing effects.

The first point is addressed by the "bad barrel makers point".

The second hinges on significant impacts, which structurally exists in every community with a holding cell.

You are not addressing my points in a direct, significant, and substantial manner.

The better barrel is community policing. I.E. flattened command structure and integration of LOs inside the community instead of against it. The bad barrel would be the lingering remnants of the older style from the 70s (war on drugs/tough on crime). That old mentality creates incentives for arrests rather than fixing the causes of crime.

I was just pointing out that the newer system still has it's flaws.

Issue with the experiment is there was a bias for cruelty.

And, that the test's enviroment is different than a city or town thus cannot be excatly the same. You, as a person of science know once controls and variables are changed the outcome will change too.

Once the police get drones, these stories will only be more frequent and the defense lawyers will have field days coming up with all sorts of excuses on the subject.

I think the show 'Cops' should come back ( with more then 40 episodes per season ) and show the nation that their are nice cops out their. The show also taught how to act around officers. For example, if an officer wants you to exhale so they know if you were drinking, do not blow right up in the face area of the officer.

But of course, I will not be blaming any one who does not want to pull over on the side of the road anymore. Its odd to think that you have the right to defend yourself but as soon as you do so in front of an officer you get your life cut short. The officers are the ones wearing the protective gear not the assailant, in most cases. Realistically cops should just stick to hand tasers. A while ago I read that German Police fired less bullets, in a year, then a shootout in Detroit. I hope your guys love yourself some RT: https://www.rt.com/usa/us-germany-85-shots-022/ . That is not the exact article by the way, but helps prove the point that Americans love their ammo firepower.

I watched that experiment in my Psychology class. I believe he ended up meeting his future wife because of that experiment as well.

That's still addressing the barrels themselves. Those of critical social capitol are the barrel makers in a heavily capitalist society. Not entirely until the system is entirely laze fare, but that's the critical mass right now and this is what they want. It's out of balance. I'm not all together at the moment, so I'll have to complete this thought later.

That plain murder. On video.

I dated a cops daughter in my young days. Family gatherings where all other cops. There like a clan of themselves separate to the world.

I know a few of cops via drilling in the reserves (local to SoCal) and exposed to even more in the work environment in previous work as an EMT. My reserve unit now has elements from all over the country and every now and then we all drill together. IMO the SoCal cops are a cut above- we here are spoiled to some highly trained and critiqued cops (dawn flame suit for all of those who have been wronged by simple math that 99% can be good, that still makes for a lot of bad ones burning people on the daily). The midwest cops scare me. So speaking very 'generally' of cops, to me, is not granular enough. I had thought too many people were sensitive to what some cops do being hegemonic to what SoCal LEOs are like- once I got to know some of the midwest guys... man...

All and all, humans are human, I'm sure this cop has seen stuff that has driven him to the point of doing such a thing, right or wrong. A day will come when this is not an issue, be it we regress into another dark ages, or we have AI LEOs and when you find you can't talk your way out of a ticket, miss those old days of human cops.

I dated a cops daughter in my young days. Family gatherings where all other cops. There like a clan of themselves separate to the world.

With the above I wrote, I would say I totally get that. Work where you face crazy situations with only a small group that "get it" and you'll have a brotherhood, or a 'good ole' boys club'. I'm no fan of clicks and exclusion, but it is what it is. If you went through a traumatic event, you get closer with those that were involved or have a similar experience, its just human nature. I'm sure the vets here can agree, I can have conversations with my deployment buddies that just wouldn't happen with civilians around, and that lead to some of the LEOs in the unit to talk more openly as well. They are human, and they see some serious stuff, and seem to only get the bad end of the media stick.

Its a job I wouldn't do because economically, why? Would it pay me so much more as to make all the public negative opinion worth it? Do I sleep easier thinking I make a better world shift by shift? I think a dangerous catch 22 is developing with the cop hating trends of late that more and more qualified/good people will NOT think of becoming a cop because of the overall cultural environment in America, and we will be relegated to worse and worse selections for recruits and things will continue to degrade. I wish a lot of the 'cop haters' with their captain hind-sight and super PTSD immunity skills would step up to the plate and take the job to improve things, but I bet a large part of that demographic wouldn't even pass backgrounds.

Wow.. reflex headshot, violent games made him do it.

But seriously since Merica seems to love guns so much, cops should just use rubber bullets or something similar, whaaaat?? ..but whats the point using guns then if you cant even kill?

I totally understand I have a huge list of people that need to die. Someone should shoot them.