More Intel CPU Speculative Bugs

Are you sure the ones who clicked necessarily posted in the thread? Those stats are an upper bound. :slight_smile:

1 Like

I have found the BleepingComputer article myself, then the thread poped up.

2 Likes

You are of course assuming i didnā€™t read the article(s) from other sources.

It was front page of ars, and i read it there because i saw it in the freebsd security mailing list.

So :smiley:

1 Like

Iā€™m very happy I bought an AMD desktop back when Spectre and Meltdown were in the news. OTOH, I now have a 12-core Westmere server and a Broadwell laptop that are sitting ducks. Crapā€¦

2 Likes

Yes, but @redgek said ā€œclickedā€ not ā€œreadā€. Thereā€™s also no guarantee that those who clicked also read. Nor that those who did not click did not read.

2 Likes

there we go

Ironically, the recent hardware countermeasures introduced by Intel in recent Coffee Lake Refresh i9 CPUs to prevent Meltdown make them more vulnerable to Fallout, compared to older generation hardware.

[wheeze.jpg]

1 Like

But have those that have in fact clicked can in which hereunto read of that in from whom wrote the article?

Jesus, who cares. This site is fanboy 101. I just posted ITT to harass smug AMD users.

Certified

1 Like

:sunglasses:

Not that I donā€™t think this isnā€™t an important issue. If I were a service provider or owned a data center Iā€™d be pissed. But the reaction to these are always so over dramatic

I havent even seen talk on LKML soā€¦

2 Likes

Hardware security is a lost cause at this point, more vulnerabilities like these are going to continue to be discovered. You either have to give up, or go full freetard and control and monitor the code of every piece of software you install on your computer.

Installing Gentoo is the only solution~

4 Likes

So you admit to trolling.

AMD zealotry is flamebait

3 Likes

While I wait for my thread to be merged with this one,

EPYC sales must be going through the roof.

So trolling is acceptable in these cases?

If the thread isnā€™t about AMD, big yes

2 Likes

I have an intense doubt. Their major source of sales is likely datacenter, the people who are running these are unlikely to just switch CPUs at the drop of the hat, unless mitigations are either impossible or too expensive. And the average joe either wont care, or cant afford a new CPU.

And besides, we should all know at this point that SPECULATION is bad.

1 Like

I agreed with Ruffalo which sparked a fire in the AMD fanbase and, combined with my Intel Shill title, I knew would make people grate their teeth and throw their keyboards.

But I didnā€™t go out of my way to make people upset. The idolization and worship of massive corporations does that, I just wrote a sentence.

3 Likes

I actually donā€™t think thereā€™s been a ton of shilling for AMD in this thread. Though definitely there has been some shills and they said some stupid things.

Iā€™m proud of some of you though.

3 Likes