More Intel CPU Speculative Bugs

The level of reading comprehension demonstrated in this thread is… interesting. lol

In any case, this news is not what I was looking for on the very day I bought an Intel-based laptop.

3 Likes

Fixes are already being issued for the linux kernel: https://www.phoronix.com/scan.php?page=news_item&px=MDS-Kernel-Fixes

Supposedly up to 10% performance penalty for MDS.

Oh joy.

1 Like

Oooph. … RIP.

1 Like

I am pressing F

3 Likes

Interesting-- another article said coffee lake and later CPUs had hardware mitigations.

On the bright side, today’s Win10 update finally includes retpoline mitigations. Should boost performance a smidge.

Well, my quote is not from “another article”, it is from the source.

Indeed, a much better source.

Wasn’t that the hardware mitigations for Meltdown? Which made it more vulnerable to MDS?

No, Ars said it helped MDS also. They usually get it right, although I guess not in this case.

2 Likes

MDS is addressed in hardware starting with select 8th and 9th Generation Intel® Core™ processors, as well as the 2nd Generation Intel® Xeon® Scalable processor family.

1 Like

That is probably the source I would trust the least on this. :wink:

1 Like

Veracity aside, it’s an official statement from an official source.

I find the whole thing… amusing. They say in that article that they found the bug, and it was confirmed by independent researchers.

I wonder what other flaws Intel currently knows about and decided that issuing a patch isn’t a good idea until the flaw is exposed to the world.

2 Likes

Each and every one of these buggers slows down their CPUs by 2-5%, so they have a very strong incentive not to disclose without being forced at gunpoint.

1 Like

He who sacrifices security for performance deserves neither.

4 Likes

- Linus Stallman Franklin

Lmao.

4 Likes

very much look like intel cpus should be considered harmful…

The new Ryzen Mobiles can’t come soon enough.

My ideal ultraportable would be a Thinkpad L390 with an AMD APU and solid linux support. i.e. doesn’t exist yet. For desktops there are lots of nice non-Intel options, but laptops are still quite limited in choice.

1 Like

It took for fucking ever to get my Ideapad stable on Linux and I got close to just beating it to death. Thankfully now it runs absolutely flawlessly.

Thanks to pioneers’ efforts, one day my dream may come true. Until then we can all wait in anticipation of what the next vulnerability will be.

as of time of this post, out of 15 ppl in the thread only 53.333…% clicked on the news article and only 26.666…% clicked on official research group website about the vulnerability.