security
news
bug

“Guys! Just half your CPUs and we good, no biggy!” - some poor guy at intel

3 Likes

Official Intel response:

index

2 Likes

Raptor Systems’ Blackbird is a viable system you can order today. It’s competitive with Threadripper in performance and price.

That’s the best “budget” option you have for an open system these days.

2 Likes

Our attacks affect all modern Intel CPUs in servers, desktops and laptops. This includes the latest 9th-generation processors, despite their in-silicon mitigations for Meltdown. Ironically, 9th-generation CPUs are more vulnerable to some of our attacks compared to older generation hardware.

Processors from other vendors (AMD and ARM) do not appear to be affected. Official statements from these vendors can be found in the RIDL and Fallout papers.

Well, fortunately I am running pretty much exclusively Ryzen these days.

But honestly, how the hell does this keep happening to Intel? It is truly embarrassing at this point.

4 Likes

I wonder if all of these bugs would push intel to buy amd. :thinking:

#maybeimcrazy

1 Like

Intel CPUs are far more popular than AMD. My guess, and it is just a guess, is that similar AMD issues simply aren’t found or publicly released, because less people are looking for them.

Meltdown was unacceptable; it was a real bug, and a bad one.

Everything else, all the various Spectre diasporas, are results of design decisions made long ago.

0 Likes

computers were a mistake

3 Likes

Even Intel couldn’t afford the asking price.

0 Likes

No way in hell.

Intel needs AMD to exist independently to have any chance of not being target for antitrust enforcement.

0 Likes

they could licence the architecture from amd right? not the first time… :thinking:

0 Likes

They could, hadn’t they burned 37 mrd on 10nm

0 Likes

Or… or… or… the architecture is a complete clusterfuck and these are actual problems that are being found on Intel.

0 Likes

Why would AMD do that though? How would that be a positive for AMD to give Intel all their secrets?

0 Likes

when we are in the ball park of intel buying amd why not throw that into the room.

i mean if amd has plans for a architecture after ryzen then the billions from intel for the next years give a lot of money for R&D

0 Likes

How are we in that ballpark? Why would AMD need Intel money for next generation when they are getting Ryzen money now?

0 Likes

At this point they don’t need that. Seriously, these headlines are just pure gold for AMD and I wouldn’t be surprised to hear about new partnerships and next gen EPYC very shortly.

1 Like

Huh? Of course they’re actual problems.

I’m just saying it’s possible AMD has similar issues that just aren’t being found due to its much lower market penetration.

0 Likes

Or… issues aren’t found because AMD doesn’t have the issues.

1 Like

is good money, intel licence money is adding to it. but that is not happen nor that intel buys amd.

mostly i feel like it will take some time for amd to harvest ryzen and epyc and funnel cash into r&d.

somewhere a couple of amd managers are having a great time, i bet.

1 Like

i want this to be true so much.

0 Likes