More Intel CPU Speculative Bugs

Yes. That is also possible.

Good talk.

But again why should AMD help Intel? Intel is reeling… they are gaining market share… why help them?

because… [$valid_reason], obviously!

if intel gets into trouble because they fucked up:

1 Like

Amd doesn’t have the Spectre vulnerability. Never has

1 Like

but but but but they didn’t look!!!1111111

As of 2018, almost every computer system is affected by Spectre, including desktops, laptops, and mobile devices. Specifically, Spectre has been shown to work on Intel, AMD, ARM-based, and IBM processors.[56][57][58] Intel responded to the reported security vulnerabilities with an official statement.[59] AMD originally acknowledged vulnerability to one of the Spectre variants (GPZ variant 1), but stated that vulnerability to another (GPZ variant 2) had not been demonstrated on AMD processors, claiming it posed a “near zero risk of exploitation” due to differences in AMD architecture. In an update nine days later, AMD said that “GPZ Variant 2…is applicable to AMD processors” and defined upcoming steps to mitigate the threat.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Spectre_(security_vulnerability)

For fun, try:

https://www.grc.com/inspectre.htm

5 Likes

Why do people post authoritatively and arrogantly in threads when they have no clue what they’re talking about?

Thanks for saving me the trouble linking it, sceps.

3 Likes

The Zen architecture differs quite a bit from Intels and AMD’s older one.

Spectre did affect AMD (ARM as well), but only certain variants. The Zen architecture did mitigate some forms of it, though.

A lot less attack surface on Zen, but I haven’t heard much at all about AMD’s older chips. I’d assume they’ve got more problems than Zen-based ones.

All 400 of them that sold, that is. :stuck_out_tongue:

1 Like

In b4 the shared FP scheduler mitigates spectre like attacks.

1 Like

The best security feature of older AMD chips: They’re too slow to run malware quickly.

2 Likes

Careful, this kind of mind map, brainstorming, free and critical thinking will get you labeled a shill and fan boy around here. EVEN if you’re not certified.

2 Likes

I can’t even tell if you’re being sarcastic!

1 Like

I agree with your guesstimation. But my warning is true :grin:

OP and article specifically states only Intel CPU’s are affected in this yet more speculative execution mess. But I’m sure it’s the researchers.

Oh geez.

Good thing I switched to AMD then?

Anyway, I’ll be waiting for the level 1 news to explain this verbally.

1 Like

No need to get upset. They make no mention of the scope of their research nor no mention of AMD. Considering they borrow employees all the time, it’s mildly reasonable to assume those flaw makers crossed over to the other team.

From website FAQ:

Processors from other vendors (AMD and ARM) do not appear to be affected. Official statements from these vendors can be found in the RIDL and Fallout papers.

AMD and ARM are addressed.

3 Likes

I see, I thought the link and Bleeping Computer blob were the same.

Thanks!

1 Like

Yes, this specific issue only applies to Intel, and older Intel at that.

Our attacks affect all modern Intel CPUs in servers, desktops and laptops. This includes the latest 9th-generation processors, despite their in-silicon mitigations for Meltdown. Ironically, 9th-generation CPUs are more vulnerable to some of our attacks compared to older generation hardware.

5 Likes