More Intel CPU Speculative Bugs

https://www.phoronix.com/scan.php?page=news_item&px=Spec-Melt-L1TF-MDS-Laptop-Run

Here are some benchmarks of a Lenovo ThinkPad with Core i7 Broadwell CPU looking at those mitigation costs.

If looking at the geometric mean across dozens of benchmarks ran, the default/out-of-the-box mitigations dropped the performance by 18% or 25% when disabling Hyper Threading.

Brutal!

So… how about those bulldozers…

Looking very much like Bulldozer being better than Sandy-bridge in some stuff at this point, and IPC comparable to say, Skylake.

:smiley:

haha

4 Likes

The good old FX 6100 will rise again. Still soldiering away at 4GHz.

3 Likes

6502 is dead, the future is all about the 65816. It’s what made Nintendo Super…

I tried for a worse joke but not enough caffeine yet…

1 Like

RIP pre-9 series intel i7s

:smiley:

Fully mitigated 8700k got knocked down to 6800k so that should give you an idea how much damage was done.

3 Likes

So it lost 5% performance? :wink:

2 Likes

But that’s like 2 years of gains being wiped out, it’s yuuuugggggeee

Source?

It’s honestly probably more like 15% performance, but yeah, I was just memeing Intel.

I think the Dead Inside stickers are gonna make a comeback.

3 Likes

Good thing Intel turned off HT on its latest desktop Processors minus their top chip. Its like they knew ahead of time they were fucked.

1 Like

https://linuxreviews.org/The_Combined_Performance_Penalty_of_Intel_CPU_bugs_Zombieload,_Meltdown,_Spectre_and_L1TF

1 Like

Extreme tech has the article, drop was on the Phoronix test suite

Oh I know, I was memeing Intel and Trump FTW

Careful, you might upset some people saying that. :stuck_out_tongue:

1 Like

So not really mitigated just turned off the hyper-threading, wasnt this still an issue even with that off and needed to be fixed in microcode (could be wrong)

I now rite? That’s why I joined in on Intel and brought in Trump, excessive triggering!

It’s not just hyper threading off

yeah but that bench just does that

That was my point not fixed just hypertreading off.

There is no microcode fix for this. This is a fundamental flaw in the silicon. The only solution is HT=off.

The mitigations are for spectre and meltdown.

1 Like