More Intel CPU Speculative Bugs

Though even that didnt fix it, just made it harder.

1 Like

Supposedly there is for the new ones as Intel has released microcode to mitigate it some.

Between the two, you get the closest you can to 100% mitigation.

Honestly I would only really worry about it on Cloud hosting stuff, you are probably more likely to get exploited another way then these. Also helps my last 3/4 desktops were AMD (8350, 5820k,1600,1950x) well had razerblade as desktop for a bit. So I guess 3/5

But all my home network crap is intel tho :confused:

Tested with and without ht

dying%20inside

4 Likes

Yeah, I’m not super concerned. All my laptops have all the mitigations disabled if they’re not work or finance related.

oh no, someone’s exploited my CPU and found out that I’ve been working on open source software for the last 30 days! Whatever will I do!?

2 Likes

As a malicious actor, I’d steal your github password and edit your code to require systemd.

It’s an exploit that keeps on giving.

1 Like

You act like that’s a bad thing.

Turning off hyperthreading PLUS patches for intel microcode (plus OS level patches) is currently the only way to be secure.

According to Theo De Raadt (who i trust more than intel), intel’s implementation of SMT is so broken as to be unfixable, hence OpenBSD has defaulted to HT OFF for over a year now.

/smugAMDuser

Also… Theo called it:

Note date: 2007

And “speculative loads” were known as a bad idea before intel started doing them.

“There are papers about the risky side-effects of speculative loads – people knew, and as a result no other vendor’s chips does speculative loads (Meltdown – Intel Only) in a significant way,” said de Raadt who heads a project that has an enviable reputation in that it has had just two remotely exploitable bugs in its default install since it started in 1996.

“Intel engineers attended the same conferences as other company engineers, and read the same papers about performance enhancing strategies – so it is hard to believe they ignored the risky aspects. I bet they were instructed to ignore the risk,” he said.

i.e., AMD aren’t “lucky” they aren’t impacted. They just don’t consciously/deliberately risk security for performance.

Wonder how long before Theo just suggests to not run on intel…

edit:
oh, i forgot about spoiler. there’s so many intel only cpu bugs i’ve lost count.

2 Likes

Wonder if they will lose some criminal negligence law suit.

1 Like

Yes, Intel was much more aggressive. Meltdown is really unforgivable.

OMG QUICK BACK IT UP ON GITHUB AND MAKE IT PUBLIC

2 Likes

Navy thinks its a UFO
Naval Avionics use Intel

Switching to AMD could solve so much (fill in the blank)

1 Like

This is the first time I’ve heard of anyone eliminating the performance impact of fixing spectre variant 2, so that’s definitely good news.

Spectre variant 1 is a much harder nut to crack, and affects AMD and ARM too. It’s inherent to speculative execution.