Monitoring Program Advice for Server and Services

Hello everyone. As I am anxiously awaiting my new (Refurbished-but new to me) server I am contemplating the things I hope to accomplish with it. One thing that has crossed my mind is a program that allows me to combine monitoring and error or system messages into one place and possibly configure emails from that program.
Here is what I am wondering if I can combine-
-iDRAC 7 - should have basic IPMI info (Will be a Dell Poweredge T320 server) Temps, fans, power monitors, and states
-System messages from Proxmox, ESXi or Citrix (should also monitor disks as I will probably use proxmox and samba to share disks and run zfs)
-Messages from VM’s updates/performance and state information
-Any other useful monitoring/performance info
I was considering co-pilot I believe some people have mentioned. I don’t know if this is possible or if I should just set up emails from each individual service. I was just wondering if anyone knew of a program or opensource project that can accomplish this.

See if this ticks your boxes:
http://www.webmin.com/

1 Like

WOW, that has a lot of functionality. I will be definitely looking into that! That will save me from trying to program something myself…which may take a long time…lol As I’m just starting. I al learninf the formatting of linux commands, pipes, calls, inputs and outputs.

I’m using Netdata right now and I’m pretty happy. It has warnings already in place and has ALL the metrics you can possibily need. But they’re a bit harder to read compared to Webmin and this software doesen’t offer any fuctionality beside checking server stats.
For me has been able to pull metrics even for my Docker containers so that’s pretty powerful!

1 Like

so is there a way to get mobile push notifications out of netdata? once some alert condition has been triggered (eg send to pushover etc)

1 Like

Sure there is. It can send email notifications. I don’t know if it’s possible to tap into the alarms API in other ways.

It might be a bit of a total overkill for monitoring a single server, but I personally use Zabbix in my home lab. Its pretty flexible and it has a ton of templates ready to use, but its a pain to set up everything initially.

It has an iDRAC 7 Redfish template that autodiscovers most to all hardware (or you can use SNMPv2) and has also profiles for Hypervisors

It has a bit of a big learning curve and looks intimating at first but the docs can save your bacon. Main feature that I like is that you can set custom “media scripts” to send you notifications onto Telegram instead of mail for example. Handy to instantly know that something is happening or for auditing VPN connections when you hook up your router to it as well

1 Like